News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current lover Range causes siren??

Started by Dan0h, October 14, 2022, 10:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan0h

First time poser poster here, I’ve ordered and built my first three Mad bean pedals. Aquababy is amazing, Total recall is ultimate amazing, but I’m having an issue with the Current Lover… when range is at zero I get a nice chorus to slap back delay going on but any range above zero I get a siren effect along with the guitar audio that adjusts its speed with the rate. So pretty much unuseable. I thought it might be the lm311 so I swapped it but no dice. I have inspected all the soldiers with magnifying glass and have no micro bridges. I confirmed all my electro caps were installed correctly and have the right values. Full sweep of all trim pots the siren is there only time it goes away is with range all the way down. Only subs were the exclusion and jumper of R-10. I do not have it wired for effects loop but jumpered per instructions. I have my in and out directly to the FS so the board In and out are left open, I get bypass and engaged and effect but something is going on with the range section. Any advice on what might cause that siren? In another thread I saw someone had a fire engine siren on a different flanger and they found one of their caps was 47n/47pf but it wasn’t the current lover build. Thank you for any suggestions, maybe one of the 40chips? Oh and thank you for making a DMM clone this thing will never leave my board.

Thewintersoldier

First Thing I would do is check all voltages in the build doc. It's nice having those for situations like this. Anything that's off will tell you were to look on the schematic and were to focus on. You could also audio probe following the audio path in the schematic. Will let you know exactly where the noise starts. Could be a bad cap? Post your voltages and let's figure it out.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Dan0h

Will grab those values this evening. Should have thought about doing that first....

madbean

I would check R30 again and make sure you haven't used something like 1k5 instead of 15k.

Dan0h

Checked the pic on my phone and it is for sure a 15k in r30. I'll test it this evening to make sure it's within range. And all around that area for issues. The voltages of the Ic hopefully will point me to the culprit.

Dan0h

All the voltages are pretty close to spec with all 7 Ic's with these two exceptions.
Ic2 pin 4 should be 41mv I have 1.1v
Ic4 pins 12,13,14 spec show 9,0,9 mine shows 0,9,9. I measured again from the bottom of the board and get the same results.

Any thoughts?

jimilee

Almost looks like you got a solder bridge. Did you go back and reflow, or just look at them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Dan0h

I haven't reflowed. Just looked with a magnifier. The weird thing is everything seems to work except the range. I will audio probe next and see where the siren is getting introduced and hopefully be able to find the issue that way.

gordo

Yeah, reflow.  Sounds like a broken record but that nails it SO many times.  Even on good looking solder joints.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?