News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Removing silkscreen

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, February 08, 2023, 12:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Anyone try to remove silkscreen from a metal enclosure? What did you use? I tried nail polish remover but it doesn't seem to work. Gonna try straight Acetone but, wondering if anyone has other ideas.

Thanks  ;D

madbean

Acetone would gum up the paint, I imagine. But, if it's on bare metal it might do the trick. Or, just sanding it off in that case.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: madbean on February 08, 2023, 01:23:02 PM
Acetone would gum up the paint, I imagine. But, if it's on bare metal it might do the trick. Or, just sanding it off in that case.

Thanks Brian! The silkscreen is on a powdercoated enclosure. Its an old Morley-style wah enclosure (Bad Horsie 2)
I prefer to leave the powdercoat in tact hence the hope for no sanding  ;)

mauman

Acetone will likely cut into the powder coat as well as the silkscreen.  Try pure ammonia, pour 1/2 inch in a shallow pan (outdoors!) and let the enclosure sit face-down for 10-15 minutes or so.  I've been able to remove both enamel and lacquer top coats with this method, without damaging the powder coat underneath.

madbean

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 08, 2023, 01:37:12 PM

Thanks Brian! The silkscreen is on a powdercoated enclosure. Its an old Morley-style wah enclosure (Bad Horsie 2)

Thitikers!

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on February 08, 2023, 08:53:34 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 08, 2023, 01:37:12 PM

Thitikers!

AWESOME!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.