News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

IC insertion approach...

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, December 02, 2022, 03:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

We have all used the cheaper IC sockets in our builds. The ones that look like this:

My question is... how do you seat the IC properly? I have always had issues with the IC sitting crooked or not seating well. Any trusted methods to share? Never have a problem with the machined IC sockets.

szukalski

I love those sockets, cheap and plentiful.

I use an IC pin straightener and it makes my life a lot easier than squeezing the pins between my fingers. They seem to sit well after that.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/293619559823

mauman

First, I try to use the Mill-Max sockets that have round holes, they're more secure and easier to align.  But for any socket type:   ICs come with the legs sprung out a little, so I lay the IC on it's side on a wooden surface (no static) and press gently to align the bottom 4 legs with each other, and to get them close to 90 degrees with the body.  Flip it over, same on the other side, and it should go in well.

jessenator

Quote from: mauman on December 02, 2022, 06:24:01 PM
ICs come with the legs sprung out a little, so I lay the IC on it's side on a wooden surface (no static) and press gently to align the bottom 4 legs with each other, and to get them close to 90 degrees with the body.  Flip it over, same on the other side, and it should go in well.

I like to do exactly what mauman suggested: gently adjusting the pin legs as close to 90* as possible.

I'm a fan of the cheaper, leaf-spring-like sockets myself :) My biggest issue was always bending TF out of the IC pins during installation, and in solving that problem by doing the above, I solved the seating issue.

jimilee

Quote from: jessenator on December 02, 2022, 06:31:04 PM
Quote from: mauman on December 02, 2022, 06:24:01 PM
ICs come with the legs sprung out a little, so I lay the IC on it's side on a wooden surface (no static) and press gently to align the bottom 4 legs with each other, and to get them close to 90 degrees with the body.  Flip it over, same on the other side, and it should go in well.

I like to do exactly what mauman suggested: gently adjusting the pin legs as close to 90* as possible.

I'm a fan of the cheaper, leaf-spring-like sockets myself :) My biggest issue was always bending TF out of the IC pins during installation, and in solving that problem by doing the above, I solved the seating issue.
This is what I do. I use my desk to roll it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

I prefer the leaf sockets.  If the board isn't mounted, once you get the pins aligned, you can push the ICs pretty hard and it kind of snaps in.  I've never had an IC come out.  I have had some loose ICs with the machined ones and ended up soldering them in place, which kinda defeats the purpose.  For straitening, before you press the IC in all the way, you can apply some torque with your fingers and twist the legs into alignment, then snap it into place.  I'm going to try the desk method next time.  8)

madbean

I use the leaf socket ones because most of what I build are prototypes and it's way more economical to use them. The only suggestion I have is to at least buy your IC dinner and drinks before suggesting insertion.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on December 03, 2022, 12:38:57 AM
I use the leaf socket ones because most of what I build are prototypes and it's way more economical to use them. The only suggestion I have is to at least buy your IC dinner and drinks before suggesting insertion.
Bwahahahahaha. I was gonna say, if you lick it, it slides right in, but I like yours better.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.