News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lectric-FX Celeste2

Started by Bio77, December 11, 2022, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

EHX Clone Theory.  I went for the obvious graphics on this one ;D Joy Division is one of my favorite bands. 

I tried and failed to get a charge pump working. I tried 20-100p caps at both the 2 to 7 pins of the CP and dafrank's 7 to ground.  Nothing took out enough noise.  But at 18V it sounds amazing.  I'm going have to rig up 18V on my board.  I'm getting a pretty big collection of really great sounding 18V pedals.

Haberdasher

Well it looks great!  Is that screen printed?
Yep. The charge pump noise is pretty much why we didn't release this one into the wild, but so far both you guys that have built it to run on 18v have liked it.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Bio77

Quote from: Haberdasher on December 11, 2022, 10:55:38 PM
Well it looks great!  Is that screen printed?
Yep. The charge pump noise is pretty much why we didn't release this one into the wild, but so far both you guys that have built it to run on 18v have liked it.
It's a Tayda UV print. On the original unit, was there a difference in the volumes between the extremes of the vib/ch pot? I matched them with the scope and the gain trim but there is still a subtle difference.  Close enough for rock and roll, but I wondered if it needed another tweak or if the original had a small dip towards the vibe side too.   

Haberdasher

It's been a long time since I've had mine hooked up, but I don't remember that being an issue on the original, no. 
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Thewintersoldier

Dayum John, this build fux hard. That enclosure is amazing. Like you I couldn't get the clock noise out but it's still an awesome build. You killed it dude.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Man, that's killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on December 12, 2022, 12:48:04 AM
Dayum John, this build fux hard. That enclosure is amazing. Like you I couldn't get the clock noise out but it's still an awesome build. You killed it dude.
Thanks Chris.  I talked with Keefe and he told me about your trouble, I thought I might get lucky ::) I couldn't recall ever having CP noise in a chorus, but now that I'm thinking about it, not many of them are run at 15V. 

Quote from: jimilee on December 12, 2022, 01:01:32 AM
Man, that's killer.
Thanks Jimi!

blackhatboojum

Nicely done!  I expect nothing less from one of the best.
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Invertiguy

Hot damn, you never fail to deliver a stellar-looking build! Nice work!
Doomsday Devices

Bret608

That's a beauty! Love a good album or song reference in a build as well. I've only built one modulation effect with a charge pump, but I'm seriously not sweating just running them with an 18v Dunlop wall wart after hearing about issues others have had. The cap mods definitely helped on my Flintlock, but the 18v adapter really did the trick.

Betty Wont

Oh wow! that's awesome. the Clone Theory is my all time favorite chorus. I hope for a quiet one. some day.

jessenator

EBK

That is a stunning print.  And a nice build, of course. 

Fot what it is worth, the two Clone Theories I have built on vero from the tagboardeffects layout, with a separate board for the charge pump, have been quiet.  Maybe I just got lucky?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aleph Null

This looks great inside and out! The matte black really makes the UV print pop. I also agree with your assessment; some circuits really do sound better at 18v and this is one of them.

Bio77