Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just a little weener

Started by madbean, December 30, 2011, 10:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Quote from: jstbrowsin on January 01, 2012, 04:23:04 PM
wicked,  awesome work Brian do you have a schematic handy please?  :-*

I would love to breadboard this and see what the fuss is about cheers  ;)

Sure. I'm not positive that the SAG control will be included. I realized after testing my build out that I was actually running it at 6.3v (it was hooked into an LM317) and it sounded awesome. I'm going to do so more tests tomorrow to decide if there is any benefit to lower voltages or not. Everything else is for sure.

jstbrowsin

nice, thanks Brian.
Just out of curiosity are the transistor choices because that's just what you had handy? I'm only asking because Q1 is a 2N3565, google says 2N3904 replacement but I'm not so sure cause there seems to be quite a bit of difference between the 2 specs. What spec (hfe, current gain, impedance etc) should I be looking at specifically to identify the ideal replacement please?     
TIA

Haberdasher

another great project!
Will this layout have pads for radial caps as well, or should I commence to orderin axials?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

Quote from: jstbrowsin on January 01, 2012, 08:10:52 PM
nice, thanks Brian.
Just out of curiosity are the transistor choices because that's just what you had handy? I'm only asking because Q1 is a 2N3565, google says 2N3904 replacement but I'm not so sure cause there seems to be quite a bit of difference between the 2 specs. What spec (hfe, current gain, impedance etc) should I be looking at specifically to identify the ideal replacement please?     
TIA

You could just get a 2N3565 from Smalbear...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

Quote from: jtn191 on December 31, 2011, 01:12:30 AM
very cool. first I've heard of the whipple inductor. Does anybody sell TDK-alikes?
I have modded a dozen or so Vox V847's with Whipple inductors and can say that they are really good.  The guy that makes them is really great to deal with too.  if you look at smallbear they have a variety of inductors too, but no TDK clones are out there to my knowledge.  Sometimes you see a TDK in a fasel style package that has been pulled from an organ on ebay.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

saxoftenest

YES!!!! Cannot wait for this one...

cjkbug

the "stack of dimes" inductors that small bear sells sound fantastic as well.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

madbean

Quote from: jkokura on January 01, 2012, 09:00:28 PM
Quote from: jstbrowsin on January 01, 2012, 08:10:52 PM
nice, thanks Brian.
TIA

You could just get a 2N3565 from Smalbear...

Jacob

I indicated 2n3565 simply because it is what I used and my preference for medium gain transistors (part aesthetics, too which you will see when I post my build pic). You can certainly use a 2n3904 in its place. While I haven't compared the datasheets, they both fall into the ~300 Hfe range.

madbean

Okay, so I'm ditching the sag control. No benefit, unless you really love lower output.

The only change will be the suggestion of a socket for the Q1 emitter resistor. Lowering it gives you more volume and gain, if you want it. I settled on 150R. You can go as far as grounding the pin, if you want.

So, just got grease up the treadle tomorrow and it should be good to go.

JakeFuzz

So does that output buffer mean it will play nice with my Fuzz Faces? So incredibly ready for this thing!

madbean

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 03, 2012, 01:38:10 PM
So does that output buffer mean it will play nice with my Fuzz Faces? So incredibly ready for this thing!

Maybe not all fuzzes. Fortunately, it is easy to bypass and the doc will have instructions on how to do that with a switch.

madbean

After looking at some shell specs, I realized that the mounting hole arrangement was not too great on the previous layout. So, I went ahead and revised it to fit the three most common mounting areas in the Crybaby. It actually is a bit better layout in some ways.

Couple small changes to the schem and I went ahead and added the pads for a buffer bypass instead of some kind of kludge....just cleaner this way.

sgmezei

This is looking great Brian! I am not sure about the Halo inductor pinout from Small Bear but I think I might use that one. Will there be pads for it? If not, I shall rig something up, or just get the whipple.

madbean

Pin spacing on these inductors is a bit hard to come by. I did the Whipple directly from mine, and the Fasel is about 12.5mm. Unfortunately, Steve doesn't seem to provide pin spacing on the other inductors he has.

If anyone has specs on other inductors, please feel free to pass it along and I will do my best to include them.

madbean

Here is the final build. Note all my mounting hackery from poor planning (I have since fixed the mounting hole positions). Sound is great....very WAAAHHH. I'm going to tweak the emitter resistor of Q1 a little more and play with the peak trimmer, but everything works and sounds as it should. I opted not to have a bypass for the output buffer on this one. Most likely I will build a couple of these in the future.

Video demo coming ASAP.