News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just a little weener

Started by madbean, December 30, 2011, 10:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

Can't wait! I have a crybaby shell that needs some guts. I also have a red fasel that needs a home. But should I just skip it and get a Whipple? Is it worth it?

lloyd17

I have a wah on the old BYOC board with both red fasel and whipple. The whipple is cleaner and less vocal to my ears but it works out well when dropping the value of the range cap or increasing gain. Both inductors in parallel are freakin sweet :o

Sigesmundninja

I want to start source parts for this build. Will the values in the schematics be in the final BOM you think? All so where do you find 4uf elec caps?

Haberdasher

mouser has axial 4uF caps; they're a bit pricey tho.  Would a 4u7 make a big difference?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

I used one of the Sprague 4uFs from Mouser. My recommendation is get the 4uF if you can, but many modern wahs tend to use 4u7. One thing I could do is add some extra pads in parallel with that cap so you can combine two different values, says 2x 2u2 or 3u3 and 680n. Let me see what kind of room I have on the board.

madbean

Quote from: Sigesmundninja on January 04, 2012, 10:45:30 AM
I want to start source parts for this build. Will the values in the schematics be in the final BOM you think? All so where do you find 4uf elec caps?

The values are good as it stands (it's what I've used in mine), but I will be suggesting a number of possible mods, so I don't know if that will affect what parts you order.

Possible mods are: using a rotary switch instead of a pot for the Freq control and using 3-4 fixed caps, or using a 11 position detente pot,  using a 1M blend pot in place of a switch for selecting between buffered and straight output. I will get the docs up well in advance this time, but not for at least another day or two. There are already a couple of mod suggestions on the schematic, too.

IOW, there will be the suggested BOM and then any number of mod to taste type additions. I want this to be somewhat open-ended like the Mudbunny.

madbean

Quote from: lloyd17 on January 04, 2012, 10:43:00 AM
I have a wah on the old BYOC board with both red fasel and whipple. The whipple is cleaner and less vocal to my ears but it works out well when dropping the value of the range cap or increasing gain. Both inductors in parallel are freakin sweet :o

I didn't know you could do both in parallel on the BYOC. That's definitely neat.

Sigesmundninja

Thank you for the quick response, I'm gonna go ahead and wait for the documents then!

saxoftenest

Brian, I'm curious (and forgive me if I've missed the answer) - Will there be extra pads for smaller caps? If not, what's the lead spacing?

madbean

All the film caps have additional pads underneath that are 5mm spaced. The electrolytics have additional pads at 2.5mm. So, you can use radial or axial caps in any combination you like.

JakeFuzz

Hey Brian, are either the Freq or Peak controls useful enough to install as external controls. I am drilling the enclosure and am wondering which ones I should put on the outside or keep as trimmers. Thanks.

madbean

Definitely the Freq should be external. The Peak maybe not so much. Although there are some variations to be had in setting the Q I think it's more set and forget.

For the Freq, you could use either a regular pot, or one of the 11 detente ones. I'll also have an alternative mod using different caps if you want to do set frequency filtering (like the Clyde wah). You could do that with either a 3-4 position rotary switch or with this one (if you want to make the little companion PCB):
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=581

jkokura

Austin (coldcraft) has a PCB you can buy for that switch.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: madbean on January 08, 2012, 05:57:35 PM
Definitely the Freq should be external. The Peak maybe not so much. Although there are some variations to be had in setting the Q I think it's more set and forget.

Awesome, that's what I was thinking. That cap blender for the frequency cap is just too cool to leave inside. Ill have to get me one of those detent knobs so it stays in place! Thanks.

timbo_93631

When this PCB rolls out I still have a heap of 2N2925 pulls, same as the Thomas Organ Co. house numbered 5117 transistors.  I think smallbear got some awhile back as well.  Look for my post in the buy n sell section if interested.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups