News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

No output on cosmpolitan

Started by ckim715, December 30, 2011, 07:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckim715

I have 0 output on my cosmo, but bypass signal works fine. LED lights up when I hit the switch, but I get no sound at all. Any ideas? I'm about to hit it with a signal tester, but I would like to have your input on it as well.
-Charlie

ckim715

I have output at the 9.1 Zener, I have output at C2, but I lose it after that. So frustrated.
-Charlie

ckim715

And of course, I"m out of soldering braid. fml.
-Charlie

ckim715

So here's what I've worked out so far. I am getting a signal through; however, fuzz knob is completely unresponsive, and it is a clean tone passing through. What is the pin layout for the NPN germ tranny on the pcb?
-Charlie

dwstanford

The pinout orientation should be as follows: emitter on top (toward gain pot), base in middle, and collector on bottom (toward r11).  It sounds like it could definitely be an issue of a backwards or faulty transistor.  If that doesnt work, check orientation of the other trannies also.

ckim715

I think it's a faulty tranny. I'm going to stick an NPN silicon transistor in there and see if i get anything.
-Charlie

JakeFuzz

Are you using the npn I sent you? That should definitely be working. I tested a solid gain of 50 on those. The emitter is the little tab on the bottom. Try an npn silicon and see how it works. If it is the tranny I can search through the pile again and find another to send.

ckim715

Little mixup. The GAIN knob is unresponsive, not the fuzz knob. The fuzz knob will increase in volume, but there is no added fuzziness or gain.

EDIT: Gain knob coincides with the transistor. Labels confused me for a bit.

Running out to Radio Shack right now to pick up an NPN sili tranny and some desoldering braid. I'll check in in a couple hours.
-Charlie

JakeFuzz

Sounds like something might be up with the mosfet stage. The gain knob should increase the signal level into the fuzz stage. Did you use a bs170?

JakeFuzz

Oh yeah I see now. The gain is actually what I would call the fuzz. It does control the gain of the npn germanium. Man I'm sorry about that, when I get back I'll try and test a few of mine to see what's up. Just to be sure it says 2n1304 on the top right? I hope I didnt mail you a pnp on accident. BTW do you have a gain tester?

ckim715

I am getting signal from the BC109, but the signal breaks down somewhere before it hits the transistor. You sent me a 2n1304, it's the right one. I don't think it's the tranny. Trying to trace the signal path. After it hits the BC109, where does the signal go?

Oddly enough, I accidentally put the transistor in backwards, and I was getting signal. Now that I have put the transistor in the correct way, I get dead output.
-Charlie

JakeFuzz

After the bc108 the signal goes straight into the base of the germanium transistor. Your most conclusive test will be to replace the germanium tranny with a cheapo silicon one and see if it fuzzes like it should. Are the transistors in sockets? That posisiton should probably be socketed. Heat causes diffusion of the semiconductor dopant ions that are critical to the operation of the device, too much heat and it will fry. I would also test the gain using keens simple DC tester to see if it still is around 50 and the leakage is still low. What is the voltage measured from the npn germanium transistors collector and ground?

ckim715

I am using an audio probe atm, can't find my dmm. All 3 Q components are socketed. If this is the case, I am not getting any signal to the base of Q3. I have signal coming into the BC109, but lose it after that.
-Charlie

ckim715

A little more accurately, I have signal on the middle lug of the BC109.
-Charlie

ckim715

WOW. I don't know what I just did, but I saw sparks and smelled burning.. Think I just blew my zener somehow. wtf.

EDIT: So I didn't blow the zener. I took out the BC109 and put the 2n4401 in there to see if I can get any signal to pass through. Something passed through alright..sparks galore.

Zener is still passing signal..I think I'm good on that front. Jesus, this is one of the easier builds I"ve had, why am I having so much trouble?
-Charlie