News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sealed Pots - Cleaning & Lubing

Started by peAk, January 03, 2023, 09:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

So anyone have any methods for cleaning sealed pots? I am about to restore an older Mackie mixing board and will be dealing with a lot of these.

The methods I have seen so far are:

--Take them apart by bending the crimped tabs. This method probably works the best but you only get one shot because those tabs can only be bent a couple/few times

--Heat (not drill) a tiny hole in the plastic to inject cleaner/lube. Close hole up with some type of sealant.

--Add cleaner/lube from the top of the shaft and allow it to find its way between the shaft clearance.

Just curious if anyone else had any ideas?

Also curious what people use. DeoxIT5? FaderLube?

lars

I've always found the only way to really clean a potentiometer is to take it apart. You have to physically get in there with some cleaner and either a Q-Tip, paper towel, and sometimes some very fine grit sandpaper in order to really clean and smooth out the contacts and carbon track. Just spraying cleaner in there is kind of like spraying a dirty car with a water hose and expecting all the crud to magically disappear, hands-free!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

peAk

Quote from: lars on January 05, 2023, 01:58:34 PM
I've always found the only way to really clean a potentiometer is to take it apart. You have to physically get in there with some cleaner and either a Q-Tip, paper towel, and sometimes some very fine grit sandpaper in order to really clean and smooth out the contacts and carbon track. Just spraying cleaner in there is kind of like spraying a dirty car with a water hose and expecting all the crud to magically disappear, hands-free!

yeah, I am doing this with all the faders but trying to avoid doing it with the pots. Id rather replace the pots needed if I can find the correct replacement