News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dammit dammit dammit

Started by jimilee, January 09, 2023, 09:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Ordered over 100 in parts and still forgot audio jacks.
Placed another order, didn't order dc jacks. Son of a bit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

oh man... I feel ya, buddy. :/
Had quite a sizable order parade last year

lars

Hitting the "place order" button is always a guarantee you will immediately remember some part you forgot. It's almost always something insignificant too, like a particular LED color, or an oddball resistor value. It really stinks when it's a .02 part, and you can't come up with anything else to hit the $5 Tayda minimum. Ack! (guess I'll just get some more footswitches...)
It would be helpful to have some kind of spreadsheet of all the boards/projects you have and their corresponding parts list. Then you can just check off what you have vs. what you need. That can be an inventory nightmare at first, but very beneficial in the long run.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

jessenator

Another dangerous thing is taking your time and then coming back to a cart that's a few weeks old only to hit [place order] and find out half or none of one component you had in the cart is on its way...

I actually just avoided that. I'm getting some parts for a Degenerator build, and here I am, double-triple-checking the cart, when I go to find the NSL-32SR3 and Mouser's sold out.... off to DigiKey! And hopefully they have the MLCC caps in stock, or I'll just be forced to do multiple orders.

edit: WTF… so apparently both Mouser and DigiKey have J201s, but HFS $4.10 per piece!

jimilee

Quote from: lars on January 09, 2023, 10:34:16 PM
Hitting the "place order" button is always a guarantee you will immediately remember some part you forgot. It's almost always something insignificant too, like a particular LED color, or an oddball resistor value. It really stinks when it's a .02 part, and you can't come up with anything else to hit the $5 Tayda minimum. Ack! (guess I'll just get some more footswitches...)
It would be helpful to have some kind of spreadsheet of all the boards/projects you have and their corresponding parts list. Then you can just check off what you have vs. what you need. That can be an inventory nightmare at first, but very beneficial in the long run.
I did all that more or less. The parts I needed are coming. Some of the parts I need to stock up on are usually what I forget.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Quote from: jessenator on January 09, 2023, 10:42:42 PM
Another dangerous thing is taking your time and then coming back to a cart that's a few weeks old only to hit [place order] and find out half or none of one component you had in the cart is on its way...

I actually just avoided that. I'm getting some parts for a Degenerator build, and here I am, double-triple-checking the cart, when I go to find the NSL-32SR3 and Mouser's sold out.... off to DigiKey! And hopefully they have the MLCC caps in stock, or I'll just be forced to do multiple orders.

edit: WTF... so apparently both Mouser and DigiKey have J201s, but HFS $4.10 per piece!

Daaaammn. I stock up on j201s when Barry (guitarpcb) put them on sale. Check out cabintech to see if they have any optos.

madbean

Them DC jacks is getting pricey!

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on January 10, 2023, 12:22:13 AM
Them DC jacks is getting pricey!
They really are. I'm surprised to see how they've gone up. Stompbox parts has the for about a buck a piece, insanity the supply chain.

Willybomb

QuoteOrdered over 100 in parts and still forgot audio jacks.

You think that's bad?  I just placed an order of nearly AUD$400 in enclosures, drilling, UV prints and general parts - and I forgot to add the extra .2mm to the drill holes to compensate for the powdercoat.  I suspect that a lot of the holes were placeholders too and the sizes will only be approximate....

jimilee

Quote from: Willybomb on January 16, 2023, 10:00:44 AM
QuoteOrdered over 100 in parts and still forgot audio jacks.

You think that's bad?  I just placed an order of nearly AUD$400 in enclosures, drilling, UV prints and general parts - and I forgot to add the extra .2mm to the drill holes to compensate for the powdercoat.  I suspect that a lot of the holes were placeholders too and the sizes will only be approximate....
Wow, you win this round for sure.

Willybomb

QuoteWow, you win this round for sure.
Thanks, I'm proud of my achievement.  I'd like to thank my parents, partner, and DIY pedal acquaintances for all their support.

It's probably not *that* big a deal, and hopefully it'll just be a case of using the press and step drill to add another mm to most of the holes, or going up from 3mm to 5mm for the leds.

jimilee

Quote from: Willybomb on January 16, 2023, 09:36:38 PM
QuoteWow, you win this round for sure.
Thanks, I'm proud of my achievement.  I'd like to thank my parents, partner, and DIY pedal acquaintances for all their support.

It's probably not *that* big a deal, and hopefully it'll just be a case of using the press and step drill to add another mm to most of the holes, or going up from 3mm to 5mm for the leds.
Yeah, most likely it will be fine. Throw a little blue painters tape on it before you stop drilling.