News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The January Burn and 2023 outlook.

Started by madbean, January 10, 2023, 05:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've fallen into a real pattern over the last several years: by the time the last quarter of the year rolls around I hit maximum burnout for the year. Then once the holidays are over I gain "burn-through" on a whole new set of ideas and renewed energy.

Coming in late January (these projects are completed and ready for release):

- Prognosticator - the Stereo Memory Man.
- Skoolie - the negative ground version of the Tourbus (I gave it a different name to avoid confusion).
- Current Lover 2023 - this updated layout allows you to build the Mistress with either MN3007 or MN3207 and up to 15v operation (MN3007 version).

- I also have two other analog delay designs in the pipeline which I hope to release in the next few months. One of them is a 1 second analog delay.

Coming in 2023
- A new slate of updated VFE projects with Peter's new SPS switching and updated layouts. More on this later.
- Obviously, more new mbp projects and probably a few updated ones.
- I will finally be moving my workshop into the new space (still my house) which is about 4x bigger. This is going to allow me to do many new things and expand the range of services/products I offer.
- The new website and store will drop in the first half of the year. This was actually supposed to happen at the end of 2022 but things happened.
- There may be some genuine madbeanpedals kits coming.

Prognosis
2022 was an extremely challenging year for mbp. In the end, I pulled the lowest amount of sales going all the way back to 2011! There are a lot of reasons for it which I won't get into here (because it's not important to the actual community) but I've resolved to turn this around in 2023, or else. I'm also branching out a bit and doing more design work for other pedal makers and companies. Can't say anything about that now but I'll fill you guys in later when there's something juicy to report.

jimilee

Woohooo!!! Even Madbeans deserve a vacation,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Here's a "before" pic of where the new shop is going. It was my daughter's playroom for many years but now she is 16+. Unfortunately, we're having to scale back what I originally planned for the space due to the massive plumbing and duct work repair we are currently doing (notice the huge water heater waiting to be installed to replace our 20+ y.o. unit). But, it will be fine. I plan on posting progress pic once we get started. I'll end up doing most of the work myself, I guess. Wish me luck. I have no idea on how anything works.

blackhatboojum

You had me at "two other analog delay designs"  8).  In all seriousness though, I'm happy to read that you're working through the crap and things are looking more positive.  2022 seemed to be a rough year for a lot of folks, myself included.  I wish you the best in the coming year and looking forward to all the things that will be available to this great community.
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

lars

Quote from: madbean on January 10, 2023, 05:49:04 PM
Coming in 2023
- There may be some genuine madbeanpedals kits coming.
I don't know how I feel about this except...
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

madbean

Quote from: blackhatboojum on January 10, 2023, 06:07:05 PM
You had me at "two other analog delay designs"  8).  In all seriousness though, I'm happy to read that you're working through the crap and things are looking more positive.  2022 seemed to be a rough year for a lot of folks, myself included.  I wish you the best in the coming year and looking forward to all the things that will be available to this great community.

Yeah, it's hard to complain b/c I know a lot of people are in way worse shape than us. But, of course, we only live our own lives.

Anyway, the two new analog delays: both are stereo out with a mono output option, one based on the DM-2 and the 1 second one is based more on the Memory Man. I've learned a lot over the last year about good analog delay design and I want to springboard that into some cool mbp exclusive projects. Once I get the new space up and running I will be able to dedicate more time to doing high quality demos of each project release, too.

harryklippton

Sounds like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and build an analog delay

jjjimi84

I am excited for the new projects and hoping 2023 is better for all of us. 2022 was by far the worst year for me and I am doing everything I can to stay positive for 2023.

jessenator

Here's to a great 2023 for you, my dude. Glad to hear there are good things coming your way.

Thewintersoldier

looking forward to what you bring to the hobby in 2023 Brian, and we can all help celebrate your success with you!
Who the hell is Bucky?

madbean

Thanks guys. I hope to show you all something new and better this year. 2023 is already off to a rough start (for my household personally) but I'm also maintaining some Zen throughout. Perspective is key.

gordo

2022 was weird on so many levels.  I hope we can overcome a lot across the board.  This is family here in an oddly personal way and I wish everyone the best this year and Brian, please reach out if there's anything needed.

I think the DIY industry struggled this year, but for those of us in the trenches here and at PedalPCB (I'd like to think we're connected at the brain) you'd never know it with the current level of building.  The build contests at both sites feature absolutely absurd levels of talent and creativity.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.