News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Here we go again: David Crosby this time

Started by gordo, January 19, 2023, 04:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I don't think this is really a surprise to Cros fans.  He's been circling the drain for a while and while anyone that knew him would probably describe him as an asshole he was a very talented asshole.  I got to see him a few years back with his last touring band and he was killer.

A nice send off if you've never heard of his band CPR is a killer solo by a killer guitar player Jeff Pevar on the tune Morrison.  Either the live or recorded version.  Just a stupidly talented bunch of guys (including Crosby's son James Raymond) absolutely hitting their mark.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Go see your favorite artist before it's too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

BrianS

Grew up listening to CS&N and CSN&Y.  What a bunch of fabulous musicians.  The harmonies those guys produced are just not heard very much now.  Just thinking of Suite: Judy Blue Eyes for one that really shows their playing and singing talents.  Brings back so many good memories. 

harryklippton

I listen to the Byrds basically every day. Thanks for those sweet vocal harmonies.

jessenator

Byrds and CSN/Y were in regular rotation in the house growing up. It's sad a musical talent like his has passed on, but we're lucky that talent has been recorded (and hopefully preserved by those of us in possession of those recordings) for the next generations to appreciate. TBH I was really surprised he made it to 81…also, I'm ashamed to say that I mistakenly thought Graham Nash had predeceased him, and chuckled a bit "wow, Crosby outlasted Nash?!"  :P I think I was mixing it up Davy Jones…

I remember seeing Hook for the first time and my dad exclaiming (in the theater—which he never talked during movies) "That's David Crosby!" when his pirate gets a plank to the crotch. I think that was right around the time I started paying attention (albeit in small amounts) to who was in bands, and connecting the dots to "oh, the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield… they spawned CSN/Y?" and it blew my mind. As a child I thought bands were like families and didn't split up because of differences and/or animosity. Ha.

It's amazing going back (I haven't listened to any of those groups in ages, tbh) and listening; there are imperfections, sure, but boy could they sing. Their harmonies were more in-tune with each other than the Fab Four ever were, lol.

I think modern music is missing that human quality which producers and engineers would call "mistakes" these days. It sounds real to me, but maybe that's just what I grew up with. I can't stand the Melodyne shite on the radio anymore.

TNblueshawk

Big Cros fan. Total douche of a guy. I mean when you make Nash not want to talk to you anymore you are the top of the heap of losers of a human being as Nash is one of the nicest guys ever. But, whew what a voice. I too am shocked he made it this long. I think if he made it past 50 he was on borrowed time knowing his history.

I for one still listen to CSN and of course Y but only the older stuff and with Young the older stuff is the newer stuff with his releases.
John