News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Grodiest Odor | [ODR-1-like b/w Boost]

Started by jessenator, February 22, 2023, 05:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Here it is! THE GRODIEST Odor

From my rather sophomoric ODR-1-like board, The Noblest Odor, I had a not-original idea to pair it with pre-OD boost stage, in the shape of It Just Boosts, my take on the LPB-1. This is a Tayda matte black 1590BB enclosure with a custom design, calling to mind (and borrowing from) Big Daddy Roth's style! Painting out the standard control markings with a punkinsh, flair.

What does it sound like? GRODY! The ODR-1 was heralded as an elegant overdrive, and while it is nice and silky, I wanted the ability to make it dirty on command!

I'm a sloppy guitarist... playing for other players makes me super self-conscious, so focus on the tone, not my meh playing.

I opted for a 4011 in the "standard" range of an OG Fairchild 5088 over the latter. My mystery box 5088s are well over 500 hFE. I mean, maybe it's louder with a 5088, so I socketed it just in case. Usually these boosts are good enough as-is ;D With mauman's addition suggestion to mitigate some heterodyning, powered by a brick I don't get any of that squeal. The wiring is... well you can't see how wacky it is. Since I opted for boost on the left, OD on the right, the jack-to-switch signal path is reversed, looping back on itself, but thankfully there's enough room to hide it all at the bottom between the chassis and the switches.

More on the wiring: my bypass LED would not turn off... and like an amateur, I did everything short of the one thing that would've solved it. Since it came from a standalone build, I had desoldered and transplanted it here...here be tomfoolery. After pulling my hair out, and the LED from the main board to the switch, there was an infinitesimal bit of conductive schmutz across L and GND  >:( Oh well! Here we are and it works!

Thanks for looking

jwin615

I love so much about this because you made it work!
The bent over caps, various sized resistors and (maybe?) mismatched LED bezels speak to the old EHX -just make the pedal- ethos.
Paired with awesome artwork-though, with that artwork, you missed the opportunity to make it say "SpeXXrXm" lol.
Nice job! Can't wait to hear the clip.

harryklippton

How can I not like this? It says ass control

Aleph Null

Looks great! The aesthetic reminds me of some of the stuff DOD was putting out in the '90's.

jessenator

Quote from: jwin615 on February 22, 2023, 07:31:30 AM
I love so much about this because you made it work!

The bent over caps, various sized resistors and (maybe?) mismatched LED bezels speak to the old EHX -just make the pedal- ethos.

Paired with awesome artwork-though, with that artwork, you missed the opportunity to make it say "SpeXXrXm" lol.

Nice job! Can't wait to hear the clip.

Thanks, heheh. Yeah, that's a good one! I thought of some naughtier terms, but I didn't want to go full Metasonix; just keep it PG-13. Though come to think, those ratfink flies look rather biological…

The bezels do look wonky! I think it's because I moved them off-center from the switch PCBs and put one inside the O counterspace. I suppose, like you say, it lends to the aesthetic of the thing.

The demo lol —we got about a foot of snow last night so I was out getting it off driveways; finally able to use the snow thrower we bought years ago. It's uploading to drive, then I'll trim just a bit of boring space to (sort of) keep with the "no editing" quality I've sort of shaped for myself.

Quote from: harryklippton on February 22, 2023, 01:02:42 PM
How can I not like this? It says ass control

;D thank you. It did bring me immense joy to be so playful with the thing.

Quote from: Aleph Null on February 22, 2023, 04:35:22 PM
Looks great! The aesthetic reminds me of some of the stuff DOD was putting out in the '90's.
Ah yeah, GRUNGE! It wasn't conscious, but I appreciate the compliment all the same. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Good friend of mine still has his GRUNGE on the board, actually—loves that thing.

jessenator

Bio77

Cool build  8)  Those hands around the foot switches are awesome.  ODR is one of my faves.  If you get a chance, try it without the hard clipping diodes, it gets nastier, which seems counter initiative, but I dig it.  That's what I use for bass distortion. 

WonkoTheSane

Looks great!

What method are you using for your graphics?
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

jessenator

Quote from: Bio77 on February 23, 2023, 02:19:24 AM
Cool build  8)  Those hands around the foot switches are awesome.  ODR is one of my faves.  If you get a chance, try it without the hard clipping diodes, it gets nastier, which seems counter initiative, but I dig it.  That's what I use for bass distortion.

Thanks!

That's interesting about the clipping diodes! I think I have one more board left, so I'll socket that one. That makes for an interesting feature to include on a new design: clip switch.

Quote from: WonkoTheSane on February 23, 2023, 03:07:36 AM
Looks great!

What method are you using for your graphics?

Thanks!

Most of the time I'm just finding something that goes along with the name, and building from that. With some designs I'll fret over and over, creating multiple versions, and others just happen with only a couple of iterations, mostly for tweaking board position.

I use Illustrator to do all of the design and 2d layout. A family member (also a designer) bequeathed me a number of font collections from his agency days (talking pre-2000 era) as a nice library to pull from. Some of the fonts, though, are so old that in order to use them I'd have to bust out my classic Mac running OS 7–9!

Apart from fonts in that collection were a number of Roth-style EPS files. No actual Rat Fink depictions in the lot, just the side characters and other flourishes; but I loved those hands! Found a typeface to go along with it; something appropriately grungy, but not grunge in the typographic style definition (look up David Carson).

Bret608

Fun stuff! That Big Daddy Roth style takes me back to my '80s skateboarding heyday.

zombie_rock123

That artwork is something else, bloody love it! Fantastic build, and the playing sounded great to me  :)
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

jessenator

Quote from: Bret608 on February 23, 2023, 09:29:39 PM
Fun stuff! That Big Daddy Roth style takes me back to my '80s skateboarding heyday.
Thank you! I remember having big dreams of buying every Roth kit from the Revell catalog, but without the patience to get past a snap-together kit ;D

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on February 23, 2023, 10:33:36 PM
That artwork is something else, bloody love it! Fantastic build, and the playing sounded great to me  :)

Thank you. It's a comfort to know it's not terrible :) With so many great players on the forum, it's an impressive bunch I find myself in.

Thewintersoldier

Nice one, the enclosure design is the best, even if the circuit isn't my favorite. You killed it either way.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on February 24, 2023, 03:40:59 AM
Nice one, the enclosure design is the best, even if the circuit isn't my favorite. You killed it either way.

Thanks, Chris! I think this is the last one of the *vanilla odr-1 boards I'll do. Even with the bass roll off bits, I need something dirty! Intrigued by the clipping diode delete option Bio77 mentioned, so we'll see.

jjjimi84

This looks and sounds great! Pedal building is such a humbling hobby when a little smear of flux ruins a perfect build. Nice job seeing it through and the results are outstanding