News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JMK Paralyzer *EXTREME* (now with series bypass)

Started by dawson, March 02, 2023, 02:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

This is a build of the JMK Paralyzer PCB, which splits your signal into two separate loops that are then blended back together via. the knob before mono output.
It's a great little utility circuit!

I've been using an older JMK Paralyzer build in a particular song to gradually switch between a choppy tremolo and a slow, sweeping phasor- turning the massive knob with my foot. It's been working great so far- here's a link to the build report if you're curious: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33855.msg325177#msg325177

Anyhow, since I've been getting so much value out of my first Paralyzer, I decided it'd be worth upgrading it by adding a true bypass switch that arranges the two parallel loops in series. I tried and tried to think of a way to do this using a smaller switch, but if there is indeed a solution, I didn't find it. I had to go 6PDT, which means I spent $18 on that super awesome switch.. totally worth it!

Here it is:

Now I can run phasor into tremolo!
*I also feel much safer working the knob with my foot now that there's true-bypass. If when I eventually demolish the potentiometer in the middle of a live set, I'll just flip the switch and finish-up in series, rather than being hard-wired through a busted circuit.

That 3d-printed bracket anchors the PCB/POT assembly to the switch so that they don't spin around in there if the nut comes loose.

Here it is mounted:

*I posted the glamor shots first to hide the fact that my etch is way off-center  :-X :

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=32053.30

Thanks for reading!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

Fantastic! The bar has been raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

HOLY KNOB

That's wonderful stuff, sir. "A 10 gauge load of BLEND, my good man!" I've always wanted a build to do something with a big ol' f*#k-offer knob, and this is wonderful!

dawson

Quote from: jimilee on March 02, 2023, 03:11:36 AM
Fantastic! The bar has been raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, thanks-
Glad you dig it!

Quote from: jessenator on March 02, 2023, 03:55:21 AM
HOLY KNOB

That's wonderful stuff, sir. "A 10 gauge load of BLEND, my good man!" I've always wanted a build to do something with a big ol' f*#k-offer knob, and this is wonderful!

Thanks a lot!
Everybody loves a massive knob, am I right?
Here it is next to my last Paralyzer build just for fun:

Thewintersoldier

That's a massive knob and switch and the etch is so clean. I'm not sure exactly how I would even use a pedal like this, I'm gonna have to look up uses. Great job again.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

dawson

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 02, 2023, 02:14:28 PM
That's a massive knob and switch and the etch is so clean. I'm not sure exactly how I would even use a pedal like this, I'm gonna have to look up uses. Great job again.

I should've listed some uses in the write-up but like most utility circuits, there are many possibilities.
Originally I built one because I wrote a song that begins with a lead riff of Fuzz > Reverb > choppy Tremolo going, "JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-JA-" but after the intro, I need make a clean transition into a part that's more strumming into a slow, sweeping phaser going, "Weeeee-Waah-Wooooo  Wah-We-Wah, Woo Wah-We-Wah."
Just turning off the tremolo sounds horribly jarring but I certainly can't just leave it on the entire song- so what I do is wire the MBP WaveLord Tremolo in one loop of the Paralyzer and the PedalPCB Phase II in the other loop, then after the Tremolo intro, I use my foot to gradually usher the tremolo out of my signal while replacing it with the phasor- it's exactly the sound I need there.

Anyhow- for me, it's a performance utility but others have reported great results blending between two complementary pedals in a multi-build, for example it's been recommended to blend a "wall-of-sound" fuzz with a more "focused" fuzz to get the best of both worlds (thanks Betty Wont!)

*I'm currently wired to blend between delay & reverb as well, but the results I'm getting from that experiment aren't worth the extra foot-work: