News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Argent Fuzz

Started by Thewintersoldier, March 07, 2023, 06:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Fuzz, I like it, but just like adolescent girls, it's hard to live with. I've struggled for years to find fuzz that wouldn't sound terrible in my rig and be riddled with placement and impedance issues. Well there is no perfect pedal but this is perfect for my needs and go figure it would be the short lived and hard to find Boss FZ-3 that would tickle my fancy and become my go to fuzz of choice and get a fuzz pedal back on my board.

The fz-3 is like the Boss engineers took a fuzz face and a tonebender and put some George Michael on and made a shameful love child. It's a flame thrower. Like anything boss in the 90s, it's over engineered but it solves the issues of impedance and placement. Does it clean up up like a germ FF? No, but the cleanup is still pretty good considering the amount of volume and gain on tap. The tone knob is a helpful addition to tame any harshness or help bring the edge back. I was really surprised with this one since because boss is not known for fuzz (fz-5 🤢) and the fz-2 is like the golden child, this was a nice vintage style fuzz that should be getting more love. Did I mention it doesn't care about wah and buffer placement?🤡

The build was simple, I used mmbfj201 smd jfets and the rest is all generic simple to get modern parts. For the enclosure I went with a winked silver tayda box with UV printing. To go with the argent theme (silver) I found the dopest silver surfer image I could find and rocked that. Thanks to @SYLV9ST9R for exploring new ways to work text into vectors and getting the argent text incorporated into the surfboard. For the demo I used my strat with treble bleed and low output vintage wind single coils on the bridge into my blackface set clean. Volume, tone and gain set just shy of 1 o'clock. I highly recommend this circuit.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

This whole thing just super Radd, man. Cosmic, even.

Okay, heraldic puns aside, nice work on this. The sparkle, chrome, and matte silver tones are killer. Also, I had no idea Aion did anything but black PCBs. That's a fun addition. I'll have to listen with headphones, but I like the sort of crackle that's going on with this one.

It tough for me to like a fuzz, but this one is growing on me, like the Superfuzz.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

Man, that's so clean looking, I've never seen a silver circuit board I don't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jessenator on March 07, 2023, 07:55:51 AM
This whole thing just super Radd, man. Cosmic, even.

Okay, heraldic puns aside, nice work on this. The sparkle, chrome, and matte silver tones are killer. Also, I had no idea Aion did anything but black PCBs. That's a fun addition. I'll have to listen with headphones, but I like the sort of crackle that's going on with this one.

It tough for me to like a fuzz, but this one is growing on me, like the Superfuzz.
if you like the superfuzz then my fz-2 build might be right up your alley

Quote from: culturejam on March 07, 2023, 08:02:49 AM
Love it!
Thank You!

Quote from: jimilee on March 07, 2023, 08:07:31 AM
Man, that's so clean looking, I've never seen a silver circuit board I don't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kevin has a whole bunch of different colored boards that I didn't realize could be done.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

That graphic just leaps off the front.  And for it to work as chrome on silver is too cool.  Well played Chris!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: gordo on March 07, 2023, 05:16:35 PM
That graphic just leaps off the front.  And for it to work as chrome on silver is too cool.  Well played Chris!!
Thanks Gordy, sometimes everything in a comes together as planned.  I'm just glad the pedal doesn't suck 😂
Who the hell is Bucky?

blackhatboojum

I absolutely love the aesthetic on this one 🥵.  One of your absolute best!
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.