Main Menu

An extensively bastardized MadBean Rabbit Hole

Started by dawson, March 11, 2023, 01:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

Somebody poisoned the Rabbit Hole!

Hello!
I'd like to show off my newest Big Muff build:

It's a MadBean Rabbit Hole built to the 'Triangle' spec's, and I've also added a 'Mids' switch that I pilfered from the Aion 'Halo' schematic and built on strip-board.
There are two 'Volume' knobs that can be toggled between with an additional footswitch- there is an LED next to each 'Volume' to always show which one is currently selected- red on top, yellow on bottom- the status LED assembly also toggles to match when the effect is engaged.

Here are a few shots of them guts:

So, why did I even build this thing?

I've been using a PedalPCB/BUGG FX 'Acid Rain' as my main fuzz-stortion tone, but in my particular rig it falls flat whenever I try to stack onto it boost for leads, BUT if I turn the volume knob from 6ish to full-blast, it does exactly what I need.  I think I may have read somewhere that the 'Acid Rain' was derived from something 'Muff' adjacent, and even though I didn't have a 'Triangle' spec' around, it's my favorite-sounding EHX variant, so I figured I'd roll the dice and shoot the two out.  Worst-case-scenario, I'll add a rad 'Muff' to the library.

I haven't shot them out with the band yet, but after comparing them side-by-side, I think it's safe to say that BUGG's circuit is absolutely its' own thing and I'm probably not going to be able to replace it so easily.  I prefer the Triangle in certain single-note scenarios but the attack and note-definition the 'Acid Rain' brings to chords is really, really cool-sounding and more-usable to fill my current band duties.

In conclusion.. I'll probably be building another 'Acid Rain' or possibly a 'Raincoat' with foot-switchable volume control and set this build aside for when I need a more traditional 'Muff' sound.

The faceplate was designed in Photoshop modeling classic EHX style, then etched with ferric chloride.  Brackets were designed in Fusion 360 and printed with carbon-fiber-infused PLA using my dinosaur 'ROBO' 3D printer.

A couple in-process photos:

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=32053.30

Thanks for reading!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

gordo

I love this place.  Bean, where do you find these people?

Unorthodox to say the least and mind = blown.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

My god, don't solder too close to your lap!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

also, splendid work on the 3d printed brackets/shrouds!

Bio77

Bad-ass-atude to the max-atude! 8) Am I old??

This reminds me of a problem solving build I did.  It combined a delay and a boost on either side of a loop so I could have multiple OD pedals in the middle to chose from but only hit one switch for a lead tone.  Nobody gets it, but I love that pedal. 

jwin615

Awesome build and execution.
Question, what's your process to keep the etch off of the sides and back of the faceplate?

dawson

Quote from: gordo on March 11, 2023, 02:13:28 AM
I love this place.  Bean, where do you find these people?

Unorthodox to say the least and mind = blown.

No, no, no @gordo..  He didn't find me- I found him and he shan't be easily rid of me!

Without this forum here, I may have never made it past building kits from BYOC.

Quote from: jimilee on March 11, 2023, 03:30:24 AM
My god, don't solder too close to your lap!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there may be a slightly catastrophic misunderstanding surrounding the subject of who/what is/isn't wearing pants..

Quote from: jessenator on March 11, 2023, 04:05:59 AM

also, splendid work on the 3d printed brackets/shrouds!

Thank you!
I shall pass the compliment on to my friendly robot slave.

Quote from: Bio77 on March 11, 2023, 06:49:16 AM
Bad-ass-atude to the max-atude! 8) Am I old??

This reminds me of a problem solving build I did.  It combined a delay and a boost on either side of a loop so I could have multiple OD pedals in the middle to chose from but only hit one switch for a lead tone.  Nobody gets it, but I love that pedal. 

I totally get it!  DIY can open up so many unique performance possibilities.
It's so satisfying to reduce pesky issues down to a single 'click.'

Cool-ness knows no age, daddy-o  8)

Quote from: jwin615 on March 11, 2023, 02:21:47 PM
Awesome build and execution.
Question, what's your process to keep the etch off of the sides and back of the faceplate?

Thank you!
So, to avoid etching the sides and back, I screw the faceplate to a 'sled,' wrap the sides with electrical tape, then touch-up the edges with nail polish.  The sled adds enough of a wall to make the plate buoyant.
*These sleds are what I use to arrange different sizes of builds on my SCHMORG racks:

Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

culturejam

Damn, son. I love it when hobbies have great crossovers.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

I really need to get my s**t together and get up to speed with 3D creation.  That is SO impressive.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

selfdestroyer

Really love the esthetics and mods you did on this build. Incorporating the 3D printing is some next level stuff for sure, very inspiring.

movinginslomo

It's a pedal-module-based pedal floor "rack". That is so clever. I'm surprised no commercial company has come out with something like that. I mean companies design for eurorracks...

greysun

I built a few mudbunnies, which I think are the same circuit?

The rams head version is what stuck for me, but I tweaked the transistors to a mix of 2n5088 and bc550 (I think) and played with the ceramic cap values - also maybe red LEDs for diodes?

I also added a mids pot that could be toggled.

It's one of my first few pedals that I made and I still use to this day. (I have a couple tweaked triangles and op amp ones, but they never sound as good with my guitars and amps for some reason)

I basically socketed an entire board and then made all the versions I thought would sound good, then tweaked as needed and built the best ones. It's a really flexible circuit - so long story short: you might find similar success with another version.

Also: cool pedal!!! Never thought to footswitch only part of the circuit to make a 2 setting situation (perhaps this is a normal thing these days, I'd have no idea) - kinda brilliant! Nice work!