News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nordic Metal

Started by Thewintersoldier, March 14, 2023, 06:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

What is one of the most polarizing distortion boxes ever? It's associated with many bands that are equally polarizing and it's one of the best selling distortion pedals of the past 30 years. The other end of the boss metal sound...the Metal Zone. If the HM-2 were heads on a coin, the MT-2 would definitely be tails on that coin. There are so many bad examples of this pedal and it's written off so much, but why? It's like the limp Bizkit of metal pedals and like many things in this collection I'm working on I have to ask is it better than I remember it back in the late 90s?

The metal zone is like someone at boss was dared to make the most over the top stompbox and they simply said hold my beer. The amount of gain is ridiculous and I think that's why people hate it so much. The key imo is to not max the gain out. You could run it at 9 o clock and still have gain for days. The EQ is the other problem. It's powerful and has so much control over shaping the sound that people don't take the time to learn how to use it effectively. Boss pedals are notorious for having the reputation of setting everything at noon and you get a great sound, and this is not that. Diming everything like a. HM-2 and it seems like a lot of people think this will work on the MT-2 but that's not the case. So many sounds are available in this box that between this and the HM-2 I could get any heavy sound I want.

What it's not...not heavy. You want something that can do low gain, crunch and high gain? This ain't it. This is metal zone 100% of the time. I think with taking the time to sculpt the EQ and exploring the lower ranges of the gain pot this is a versatile high gain pedal that has so many great sounds as well as an equal amount of terrible ones. In the end, I highly recommend this if you want the chug and will take the time to tune it to your rig, or you want a box of angry bees.

The build itself was simple minus one issue, albeit an easy fix. In typical guitarpcbmania fashion there was an error, the gain pot is working in reverse. Would have been nice to have this documented.I simply wired the pot in reverse and the gain pot now works as it should. Also, I couldn't find a 50kb dual gain pot so I used a 100k dual gang and used parallel resistors to drop it to 50k on each gang The noise floor is better than the original and the circuit has tons of mods available that are documented in the build doc. Also I wired the optional clipping switch for just stock silicon. All in all a straight forward build that had one hiccup. Matte dark grey tayda box with simple UV print. Went with Hella to match the Nordic metal name and the goddess of the death had the vibe of the sound as well.

In spite of the guitarpcbmania issue and their reputation I will recommend this project if you want to build a metal zone, if all else because it's the only board available for the project as far as I know.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jwin615

Clean build, as always.
Be sure to try it out if the fx return. Not the loop, straight into the return.
If you have a loop bypass capability on your amp, you now have an extra channel.
If you have a parallel loop, split the clean guitar signal, one split to a fuzz into the amp, the other split to MZ to parallel loop return and blend to your dooms content.

blackhatboojum

Killer build as always my man!  I never quite understood all the hate the metal zone gets.  For something that's supposedly garbage, Boss sure did sell a shit ton of them. 
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jwin615 on March 14, 2023, 10:43:33 AM
Clean build, as always.
Be sure to try it out if the fx return. Not the loop, straight into the return.
If you have a loop bypass capability on your amp, you now have an extra channel.
If you have a parallel loop, split the clean guitar signal, one split to a fuzz into the amp, the other split to MZ to parallel loop return and blend to your dooms content.
Thanks, but I don't have an effects loop or amp with technology past 1965 lol I play a 35w deluxe reverb hahahaha It still chuggs

Quote from: blackhatboojum on March 14, 2023, 11:07:56 AM
Killer build as always my man!  I never quite understood all the hate the metal zone gets.  For something that's supposedly garbage, Boss sure did sell a shit ton of them. 
Thanks Clinton. I agree, I think for what it's supposed to do, it does it well. Like most things it's user error and not the pedal's fault for yielding good results. I'm not gonna hold it against boss for people with bad taste running it into a solid state crate with cardboard speakers lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

That is awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Have to say it's Hela awesome! Well done.

harryklippton

Quote from: jessenator on March 14, 2023, 02:47:00 PM

There you go again

jessenator

Bio77

Sick build, Chris  8) That graphic rules. 

Most of the Boss haters just want to be different, same for Strats.  But us pedal junkies know the real deal 8)   

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on March 14, 2023, 01:04:08 PM
That is awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimi

Thanks dude

Quote from: harryklippton on March 14, 2023, 03:12:05 PM

There you go again
No love Will? 😂😂😂

Quote from: Bio77 on March 14, 2023, 05:52:56 PM
Sick build, Chris  8) That graphic rules. 

Most of the Boss haters just want to be different, same for Strats.  But us pedal junkies know the real deal 8)   
Thanks John. For years I used a lot of boss pedals and those were the times I was happiest with my sound and focused more on playing. I bought the boutique hype, many of which were just boss circuits  in disguise lol.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Looking great Chris! Love the whole aesthetic, just metal as hell.