News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD: 2013 G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Started by culturejam, March 05, 2023, 09:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Saw this at my local shop where I take lessons. They got it in that day, and I noticed the pickup switch was dodgy (wouldn't select the neck pickup by itself, so the middle position and neck position were the same). So I managed to talk my way into a $50 discount and got it for $350 out the door with a so-so hardshell case.

I got the new pickup switch installed, and it's working great. No real plans for any other upgrades...other than perhaps a set of Hipshot locking tuners, but so far the stock tuners are just fine. Core-Tek makes a solid guitar, assuming the buyer specs it out well. G&L obviously did in this case.

Oh, and holy shit these are the brightest/loudest pickups ever.  It's like a single coil on 11...or maybe 37. It doesn't look the part, but this thing DOOMs.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jessenator

That is a handsome axe!

I suppose many louds is preferable to too few.  ;D

culturejam

Quote from: jessenator on March 05, 2023, 10:03:21 PM
That is a handsome axe!

I suppose many louds is preferable to too few.  ;D

Thanks! Yes, I guess I'd rather turn down the volume rather than have to boost it, but I've never before had a guitar where I felt a need to roll back the Tone control a fair bit as a "standard" setup.

playpunk

I had one of those a while ago, mine weighed about 45 lbs so I eventually moved on from it. Interesting pickups. too.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

jimilee

G&L makes killer stuff, I have a couple of them. I never got that one for some reason.  More louder is more better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

I like that.  I have a Music Man that requires a lot of fiddling with the tone control, which is pretty cool when you need the top end.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pickdropper

The first time I had a guitar where there was too much treble (also a G&L), I wasn't quite sure I liked it at first.  Once I got used to the idea that the tone pot didn't always have to be on 10, I found it pretty damn useful.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on March 08, 2023, 04:41:46 AM
The first time I had a guitar where there was too much treble (also a G&L), I wasn't quite sure I liked it at first.  Once I got used to the idea that the tone pot didn't always have to be on 10, I found it pretty damn useful.

Yeah, I can see some upsides. Still breaking it in. Luckily, there are almost no aftermarket pickup options, so I'm pretty much just going to have to get used to it. :)

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on March 08, 2023, 06:19:27 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on March 08, 2023, 04:41:46 AM

Yeah, I can see some upsides. Still breaking it in. Luckily, there are almost no aftermarket pickup options, so I'm pretty much just going to have to get used to it. :)

You could always 3D print a giant pickup cover to fit a standard single coil if you get desperate.  ;-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

peAk

gordo

Given my recent Ty Tabor Yamaha score I'm real partial to green too, and normally I wouldn't be.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jjjimi84

What a stunner of a guitar! G&L are really beautiful to me and this right here is not helping the GAS.

junkemail86

Congrats!  Love the green!  I have the same one in Orange, it was my main gigging guitar for years.  Still love it