News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hypercube Fuzz

Started by Thewintersoldier, March 21, 2023, 09:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Hey kids do you like octave? How about octave fuzz? I love the superfuzz, it's a great circuit, so you already knew that boss was gonna enter the fuzz market hard in the 90s. The FZ-2 was a reimagined version of the superfuzz that became a legend thanks to electric wizard. Here is my build of this sought after now expensive box.

The fz-2 is an over engineered version of the vintage superfuzz. At it's core is the vintage circuit but instead of a simple switch or knob to go between a scooped or flat mids tone, they made three modes and gave you a high and low tone knobs for ultimate sound control. The modes are then broken into mid forward, scooped and a clean boost mode.

The Aion hypercube is a stacked board design with an on/on/on switch to allow all three modes in a 125b enclosure. The layout was simple and didn't require low profile caps. For the jfets I used smd j201 instead of the originals. All in all a straight forward build with the only specialty part being the headers and pins.

For the enclosure I went with a matte black tayda enclosure and UV print. For the hypercube I used the tesseract which came out really well. Thanks to SYLV9ST9R for brainstorming the hypercube text at the bottom. If you want a little more of a challenge and want to get that crushing octave fuzz sound then give this one a try.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

This build makes this cube go curvaceous. Slick work, Chris.

jimilee

Oh man, you are killing it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jessenator on March 21, 2023, 10:31:41 AM

This build makes this cube go curvaceous. Slick work, Chris.
Quote from: jimilee on March 21, 2023, 10:57:05 AM
Oh man, you are killing it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Guys, it was a fun build and sounds killer
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

That looks killer!  What do you think about the the extra engineering on this vs the classic Super Fuzz?

zombie_rock123

The blue knobs & artwork look awesome!

Is this the circuit that has the 1.5 mode mod on the Behringer clone that people talk about?
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on March 22, 2023, 09:24:49 AM
That looks killer!  What do you think about the the extra engineering on this vs the classic Super Fuzz?
I think this is better than the original. The input buffer and added tone shaping make for a better sounding pedal. It's quite than the last superfuzz I built and that one got sold.

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on March 22, 2023, 10:18:23 AM
The blue knobs & artwork look awesome!

Is this the circuit that has the 1.5 mode mod on the Behringer clone that people talk about?
It is the same one. I don't know that that secret mode sounds all that great though, not trying to break the switch on this to try it out lol.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

I had one of these back around '94 and liked it. I had no idea at the time it was a Super Fuzz offspring. I could actually use it with chords and such more than any SF derivative I've built as long as the gain wasn't too high. Love the build!

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on March 23, 2023, 01:38:20 PM
I had one of these back around '94 and liked it. I had no idea at the time it was a Super Fuzz offspring. I could actually use it with chords and such more than any SF derivative I've built as long as the gain wasn't too high. Love the build!
Thanks dude, when I first plugged it in with a single coil tele I was shocked at the sounds I could get, and how quiet it was. Humbuckers were a totally different beast!
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Yeah, I can imagine! Made my Mustang sound huge, even more so when stacked with a Rat. I sold the thing when I was trying to lighten the load for cross-county move.  :(