News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

CurrentLover: can't get rid of chirps

Started by slowpogo, March 23, 2023, 02:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpogo

I built the CurrentLover 2023 in the MN3007/18V configuration. It worked right away and sounds like a flanger should.

I followed the setup instructions exactly. However, through the entire range of the Clock trimmer, there are always clock chirps as it peaks. There is no setting that eliminates them, even all the way up.

Possibly related: the build doc lists a 10k trimmer for Clock in the tables, but the board graphic on page 3 shows 20k. I'm currently using 10k

Any initial advice? Do I need to adjust some values somewhere (ie a 20k trimmer)?

madbean

Ahh, it should be 20k. Yes, that could have an impact on dialing it in. In fact, you can go up to 100k if needed. I think that's what was originally used. I will correct that in the doc. In the meantime, if you have a 20k, 25k or 50k trimmer try that instead. Sorry about that!

slowpogo

Thanks for the response. Real quick, I did find another discrepancy; R20 is 470R in the table, but labeled 100R on the page 3 board graphic. (I've got 470R there currently)

For Clock, I replaced the 10k trimmer with 100k, it's what I had.

However the artifacts still won't go away, they just speed up in tempo as I turn the trimmer, but never disappear.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: slowpogo on March 23, 2023, 07:25:22 PM
Thanks for the response. Real quick, I did find another discrepancy; R20 is 470R in the table, but labeled 100R on the page 3 board graphic. (I've got 470R there currently)

For Clock, I replaced the 10k trimmer with 100k, it's what I had.

However the artifacts still won't go away, they just speed up in tempo as I turn the trimmer, but never disappear.

good catch. In cases where something like this happens ( and it happens to everyone) I always go with what the schematic says. On there it says 100R so it's more than likely that.
Who the hell is Bucky?

slowpogo

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 24, 2023, 04:40:02 AM
good catch. In cases where something like this happens ( and it happens to everyone) I always go with what the schematic says. On there it says 100R so it's more than likely that.

Thanks! that makes sense. I went ahead and changed R20 to 100R but it made no obvious difference. Still can't get rid of the chirps

Thewintersoldier

Sounds like something is wrong somewhere else. I just put one together and no chirping here.
Who the hell is Bucky?

slowpogo

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this issue, please let me know. For now I fear this one is destined for the junk pile. Checked all my components, soldering looks good...no idea what's wrong. Dang.

madbean

Nah, we're not giving up. Does the chirp happen at all feedback settings? Also, a nice clear pic of the top side of the board would be helpful.

slowpogo

Happens at all Feedback settings. Here are some pics of the board, as well as a short video with audio so you can hear the artifacts.

*Clock trimmer was replaced with 30k, not 100k as stated above

https://imgur.com/a/CEp1sTB

https://imgur.com/a/fVhMKfR

gordo

That is weird.  If you move the output to a longer wire that runs around the outside of the board does that improve the noise.  I'm wondering if the wire is picking up noise from the BBD.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

slowpogo

Quote from: gordo on March 26, 2023, 08:35:07 AM
That is weird.  If you move the output to a longer wire that runs around the outside of the board does that improve the noise.  I'm wondering if the wire is picking up noise from the BBD.

I lengthened the wire so it goes completely to the left and around the board...no change

thomasha

It gets faster with the LFO it seems. I would start looking around there.
Is there any noise in the matrix mode?

slowpogo

Quote from: thomasha on March 26, 2023, 03:03:51 PM
Is there any noise in the matrix mode?

No, matrix mode does not have any artifacts

Govmnt_Lacky

I hear 2 things....

I hear LFO ticking at all settings and I also hear 'whining' that gets more pronounced as the Feedback is turned up.

Recommend that you replace all of your Input and Output wiring with shielded (RG-174) wiring to get rid of the LFO tick. Be sure to ground the shielding from these lines only on one side (at the jacks). Also recommend adjusting your Feedback trim to get rid of the whine.

EDIT: Another idea is to remove the ground from EITHER the Input or Ouput jack but not both. Grounding one of the jacks will also provide ground to the enclosure and thus, the other jack by its contact with the enclosure.

slowpogo

Thanks for replying. The wires' proximity doesn't seem to matter actually, I move them around and nothing changes. So I'm skeptical shielding will help. I can try un-grounding one of the jacks