News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

CurrentLover: can't get rid of chirps

Started by slowpogo, March 23, 2023, 02:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhatboojum

Question... in your video you posted, is your mistress after an analog delay?
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Thewintersoldier

It was brought to my attention by @blackhatboojum that the pedal is behind a man O war delay and the mistress does not play well behind other clocks. Have you ran this isolated with nothing in front of it, mine is dead quiet.
Who the hell is Bucky?

thomasha

I played a lot with the VCO and the DC voltage of the LFO.
You can get weird noises if you go too low. That would get more pronounced with the Depth maxed.
Not sure if it applies here, but checking the voltages might give a clue.

gordo

Yeah, and honestly mine is dead quiet with nothing special about input and outputs.  I ran them under the board but shouldn't make any difference.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: slowpogo on March 27, 2023, 08:30:33 AM
Thanks for replying. The wires' proximity doesn't seem to matter actually, I move them around and nothing changes. So I'm skeptical shielding will help. I can try un-grounding one of the jacks

Reflex reply to any build with a clock or LFO. Shielded wiring will avoid a lot of wiring issues involved with these.

As stated above, make sure you are testing your build ALONE (Guitar > Pedal > Amp) as it will avoid any unnecessary interferences.

slowpogo

Quote from: blackhatboojum on March 27, 2023, 08:48:18 AM
Question... in your video you posted, is your mistress after an analog delay?
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 27, 2023, 08:53:06 AM
It was brought to my attention by @blackhatboojum that the pedal is behind a man O war delay and the mistress does not play well behind other clocks. Have you ran this isolated with nothing in front of it, mine is dead quiet.

Correct, in the video, it was after the Man O War. I previously tried it several places on the board including the very beginning, with the same result. BTW I'm using a OneSpot CS12 supply and the CurrentLover has its own isolated power (as do all my delay/modulations).

HOWEVER I had not tried it all alone yet for some reason... guitar->CurrentLover->amp, the ticking does go away! There is a mild hiss that swells and recedes with the LFO, is that normal?

So that tells me the pedal might be working fine, my board is the issue. But if I can't put the CL anywhere on the board without issues, it's unusable.

Any tips for the board? As I said, I'm using an isolated supply, and only a few drives are daisy-chained. No noise issues at all except with the CL

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: slowpogo on March 27, 2023, 09:54:05 AM
But if I can't put the CL anywhere on the board without issues, it's unusable.

Does your amp have an effects loop?

slowpogo

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 27, 2023, 09:57:27 AM
Does your amp have an effects loop?

No it does not. Mojotone Blackout Tweed (5E3 style amp)

blackhatboojum

Yes, mild hiss is normal, especially if you're going into an amp that's being overdriven.  In my experience with the electric mistress, she is a finicky bitch.  She just doesn't get along with certain pedals.  I've built the current lover and old chap, and both of those pedals didn't get along with analog delays in front of them.  They also didn't get along with a Digitech Drop.  This hiss that accompanied the sweep was louder than the effected guitar signal with the drop engaged.  The only thing I found that helped with my noise issues was having a buffer at the beginning of my signal chain.  Even with that, I still had issues when using the Digitech drop.  Ultimately, I ended up ditching the use of the mistress because of these issues and went back to using my trusty bf-2. 
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Bio77

Haven't built this in awhile, so this might be a dumb question. Does it need 18V? Have you tried it with 9V?   Flangers built with charge pumps are notorious for problems like this. Just wondering how the OneSpot CS12 gets its 18V. Might be some power noise getting into the CL. 

Betty Wont

Quote from: Bio77 on March 27, 2023, 10:38:41 AM
Haven't built this in awhile, so this might be a dumb question. Does it need 18V? Have you tried it with 9V?   Flangers built with charge pumps are notorious for problems like this. Just wondering how the OneSpot CS12 gets its 18V. Might be some power noise getting into the CL.
I'm wondering too if 18v operation could be the culprit. I built my 2023 CL for 9v operation and it has, by far the best noise floor I've ever heard on a flanger. It is absolutely dead silent even at extreme settings.

gordo

Mine's running at 18v from a tap on the Dunlop brick.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

slowpogo

Maybe it got lost in the shuffle, but the noise issue goes away when I run it without other pedals (but still using the OneSpot). So I'm confused why 18V would be the source of the problem.

jimilee

Quote from: slowpogo on March 27, 2023, 12:55:59 PM
Maybe it got lost in the shuffle, but the noise issue goes away when I run it without other pedals (but still using the OneSpot). So I'm confused why 18V would be the source of the problem.
That's a great question. With my collosalus, I was having all kinds of noise issues until I ran it at 12 and 15v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

slowpogo

I guess I'll try removing the regulator and running at 12V. Although that's a bit annoying, as one of the reasons I chose the project is that I had a free 18V output, and I liked the idea of running the same voltage as the original Mistress.