News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - Been awhile

Started by selfdestroyer, April 06, 2023, 04:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I have been focusing on modular synth stuff for so long that I have neglected my guitars.. so what better way to remedy that than buying a new one. I have always (thought) I wanted a baritone but after talking to David (Storyboardist) for a bit, I came to the conclusion it was a Bass VI that I was really after. Like a good friend, David found one on Reverb that was perfect and it came with a case. I had no idea Squire had a matching headstock, square inlays Bass VI in shell pink. I jumped on it.

Squire Classic Vibe Bass VI:

I have had it a few nights now and I have really been enjoying this thing. The 30" neck feels like a bass length with a guitar width. Really nice in the hand. I was worried about the potential problem with the low E being floppy or a buzzing nightmare but it really was not an issue in standard tuning. Since I wanted to do some drop tuning with this thing (make it DOOM) I picked up a bone nut replacement and ordered a Staytrem bridge with better saddles. Parts should be here in a week or so. Overall the build quality is pretty nice for such an affordable guitar. I think I will take some steel-wool to the neck to soften up the lacquer a bit. Since I was a Couch strap whore in the past, I ordered one that I think will go well with the pink shell (thats important lol).

Anyone have one of these? Anyone have a legit Fender Bass VI? Mod ideas are welcome!

Govmnt_Lacky

If your mission is going to be bringing doom to the world with this beast, at least tell me you will be putting a Power Puff Girls sticker on it.  8) ;D

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 06, 2023, 05:07:43 PM
If your mission is going to be bringing doom to the world with this beast, at least tell me you will be putting a Power Puff Girls sticker on it.  8) ;D

LOL

jessenator

That's killer. I've wanted a Bass VI but never could justify it. Glad you've got one!

zombie_rock123

That looks amazing! Love the colour, specially for doom! Can I ask what tipped you over to the Bass VI over baritone? I've played neither but have always wanted one of em but can never figure which.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Aentons

A buddy of mine let me borrow his Fender Bass VI for a while and it was totally awesome. It's essentially a regular bass but with two higher strings and it somehow forces you to play differently than if it were a regular bass or guitar. It's a very unique experience and way different than a baritone.

Invertiguy

Nice! I sold my 8 string Agile for a black one of these a few months ago to do the whole Loathe thing and haven't looked back since! Kinda wish I would've shelled out the extra cash for one of the CME exclusive ones though, their unique colors and matching painted headstocks really pop. I definitely agree that fit and finish is quite nice for a guitar which costs $500 brand new and it dooms quite well even with the stock single coils, although mine are a bit microphonic so I'll probably end up replacing them with something better (like P90s) in the near future. The Staytrem is on my list as well, as the stock bridge is definitely a bit mediocre if you're tuning low. Better tuners would also be worth looking into, I'm definitely not a huge fan of the stock ones. Overall it's still a nice instrument though and it's awesome to see someone else with one!
Doomsday Devices

selfdestroyer

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on April 06, 2023, 09:48:47 PM
That looks amazing! Love the colour, specially for doom! Can I ask what tipped you over to the Bass VI over baritone? I've played neither but have always wanted one of em but can never figure which.

Thanks man, I really just did not want to mess with the baritone tuning and try to transpose stuff too much in my head. I'm usually in a Drop A# or C#.

Quote from: Invertiguy on April 07, 2023, 08:31:21 AM
Nice! I sold my 8 string Agile for a black one of these a few months ago to do the whole Loathe thing and haven't looked back since! Kinda wish I would've shelled out the extra cash for one of the CME exclusive ones though, their unique colors and matching painted headstocks really pop. I definitely agree that fit and finish is quite nice for a guitar which costs $500 brand new and it dooms quite well even with the stock single coils, although mine are a bit microphonic so I'll probably end up replacing them with something better (like P90s) in the near future. The Staytrem is on my list as well, as the stock bridge is definitely a bit mediocre if you're tuning low. Better tuners would also be worth looking into, I'm definitely not a huge fan of the stock ones. Overall it's still a nice instrument though and it's awesome to see someone else with one!

Great info! Thanks. P90's would be amazing in there. I was thinking of hitting up Timbo to see if he's up for making some pickups for me for this thing at some point. The body would need a bit of routing but thats par for the course.

jimilee

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 07, 2023, 08:40:47 PM
Quote from: zombie_rock123 on April 06, 2023, 09:48:47 PM

Thanks man, I really just did not want to mess with the baritone tuning and try to transpose stuff too much in my head. I'm usually in a Drop A# or C#.

Quote from: Invertiguy on April 07, 2023, 08:31:21 AM

Great info! Thanks. P90's would be amazing in there. I was thinking of hitting up Timbo to see if he's up for making some pickups for me for this thing at some point. The body would need a bit of routing but thats par for the course.
Oh man, I haven't heard that name in a while. Timbo made several sets for me. Still using them, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Awesome! Never played one of those, but I've always been interested. Love those inlays.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rrright

Wish they made those left handed.....

Drew Hallenbeck

Love the color and the suggestion for a sticker! I'd love to get myself a baritone one of these days. A buddy of mine had a bass VI back in the day and it was definitely a fun instrument to play around with.
Let me know if you need an always on buffer (or three) for your signal chain.  ;) ;D
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.