News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ZION | Effects Layouts Sonorus

Started by jessenator, April 18, 2023, 08:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Whenever I'm looking at a pedal in the queue, I leave my mind open for almost any possibility for the name. Some are instant duds, some have to simmer a bit, but this one came very quickly.

Those who know me know I have an affinity for a particular game series, and one title holds a special place in my heart.

The character Joshua Graham is an interesting one. He's someone that, on a few levels, I can identify with. Others, like being the legate of Caesar's Legion and the bloody baggage that goes with that title, I emphatically do not. His story is an interesting one, which I won't deep dive into here. Suffice it to say that after his fall from grace, prodigal return to family and then loss of many of that family and home—all because of his past deeds—he welcomed the space of Zion National Park. A place away from the brutality of the post-nuclear wasteland.

I was actually able to go to Zion National Park years before it became the sadly overcrowded destination. It's still amazingly beautiful, and I'd recommend a visit; just be prepared for crowds. Matter of fact, we have like FIVE national parks in my state... Bryce is a wonderful view, but it's by far the smallest. Anyhow, these days I prefer to get away to Goblin Valley State Park, but I don't know how calming "goblin" really is in this context ;D Alternatively, I could have called it Hoodoo, after the earth formations there. Beautiful spot...

I digress...

I chose Effects Layouts Sonorus reverb board for this one. I like it a lot since my Pretender amp head doesn't have a 'verb tank in it, and most digital reverbs don't sit right with me. I've actually had this one build for a while now, and waited until I had enough working builds to put in an order of enclosures.

https://imgur.com/a/fFxUac5

As always, thanks for looking.

WonkoTheSane

Very Cool, I'd probably go Dead Money :)
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

jimilee

Oh now that's cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Those gold knobs really look cool on the sunset/rise.  Very tasty build.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

harryklippton

Oh SHIT that looks cool 😍 I haven't been to Zion but I spent a week each in arches and canyonlands a little over 10 years ago after reading desert solitaire

jessenator

Quote from: WonkoTheSane on April 18, 2023, 10:10:27 PM
Very Cool, I'd probably go Dead Money :)
;D We could break this out into a casual/discussion thread haha. My ranking is more based on emotions than actual gameplay, which may not be the most objective method. I need to just muscle through it and finish Dead Money, because right now I can't rank it at all.

And thank you for the build comment!

Quote from: jimilee on April 18, 2023, 10:13:27 PM
Oh now that's cool.
Thanks, Jimi, I'm quite pleased with it.

Quote from: gordo on April 18, 2023, 11:43:58 PM
Those gold knobs really look cool on the sunset/rise.  Very tasty build.
Thanks, Gordo! The camera hides a lot  :P 

Not to be an insufferable pedant, but those are the yellow anodized knobs, and I may steal a couple gold ones off of the Fraudhacker, since under natural light, the yellow knobs are shifting away from warm, like a yellow LED—shifting kinda yellow-green almost, which I don't like. The gold are definitely a warmer yellow tone.

Quote from: harryklippton on April 19, 2023, 02:31:12 AM
Oh SHIT that looks cool 😍 I haven't been to Zion but I spent a week each in arches and canyonlands a little over 10 years ago after reading desert solitaire
Thanks, Will. yeah, it's all so beautiful, this red rock country. I need to visit Arches again. My first trip was rather lame: we stopped at that gigantic dune before the entrance off Hwy 191 and I thought, "oh heck yeah, I haven't rolled down a hill in ages!" only to elbow myself and crack a rib. I did one of the milder trails before I threw in the towel  :'(

I've been going all over the map with my build graphics, and I'm close to winding down the overly pictoral ones. I have two more that will finish that up, and then I need to get into a groove that I can riff on and have it not get old or busy. Oh, and actually take the time and make the soldering nice 'n neat like I promised Chris I'd do.

Thewintersoldier

Strong work, the enclosure is beautiful and the insides are equally as clean. Great job.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on April 19, 2023, 10:46:34 AM
Strong work, the enclosure is beautiful and the insides are equally as clean. Great job.
Thanks, Chris!

storyboardist

Honored to have one of my boards in such a good look enclosure. Awesome execution all around man!
Guy behind Effects Layouts

selfdestroyer

Super clean! Love the artwork. Would love to hear a working demo of this since I am a huge reverb whore.

jessenator

Quote from: storyboardist on April 19, 2023, 04:55:50 PM
Honored to have one of my boards in such a good look enclosure. Awesome execution all around man!
Oh thank you, David! That's some high praise, seeing what others have done with your builds. The honor is mine.
I've also got to shout out David here, because he was so willing to work with me and my fat thumbs that inverted bits of my address and got my boards to me regardless! Thanks again.

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 19, 2023, 06:05:43 PM
Super clean! Love the artwork. Would love to hear a working demo of this since I am a huge reverb whore.
Thanks, Cody! Yeah, one of these days I'll actually get around do doing proper demos. One day. I do really like it and the dwell control is a nice touch. On lunch, so I broke it out again :D axe -> fraudhacker -> sardine tin -> Sonorus/Zion has a great vibe, I love it.

Invertiguy

...so does this mean we're gonna get pedals for Dead Money, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road too?

Seriously though, that thing looks amazing, and is a fitting tribute to one of the most badass mf'ers to ever walk the wastes. Well done!
Doomsday Devices

jessenator

Quote from: Invertiguy on April 21, 2023, 07:06:48 AM
...so does this mean we're gonna get pedals for Dead Money, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road too?

Seriously though, that thing looks amazing, and is a fitting tribute to one of the most badass mf'ers to ever walk the wastes. Well done!

Thanks! Well, I may or may not have more themed designs in the pipeline, that's all I'll say ;)

jjjimi84

Super sweet build and a very nice write up. This is a really cool verb that people should not pass on.

jessenator

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 22, 2023, 05:16:52 PM
Super sweet build and a very nice write up. This is a really cool verb that people should not pass on.

Thanks, Dan!