News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dragon Thlayer

Started by gordo, April 20, 2023, 01:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

James the graphic guru has lulled me to the dark side of etching and I find myself with an empty enclosure.  I have a horrible track record of hits and misses in etching so I was skeptical to say the least but I only shot it with a single coat of clear to cover the waterslide so removing it should be fairly easy (hint: painters tape and a stong sense of disconnect from your previous graphic endeavors).  The etch was easy since I already had crossed the line to the evils of ferric chloride and although the PCB stock I used was recognizably the cheapest crap that eBay has to offer it worked out ok.  I had to repair a slight miscommunication between my pcb transfer process and my etching process (sharpie fix be damned) with a bit of jumper wire but the damn thing works so let it go.

I socketed the transistors, knowing full well that by the time the smoke cleared from the original gut shots (JHS internet fodder) there might be some deviations.  Josh has become the master of internet knee-jerks.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jessenator

Yeeeea boi, work it! I haven't etched in ages, so I bought one from an OG :P  can't wait to build mine.

madbean

I love the blue FR-4. It's been years since I had any. But really - try a clear white LED instead of the red diffused. It's way better. I will update the doc.

jimilee

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Dang Gordo, you got all the skills.  That looks great!  How's the sound?

selfdestroyer

Great looking etch! I may attempt Brian's or Storyboardist's layout this weekend.

This reminds me, as Im getting back into this pedal building madness, I think I still have some of the blue and also red FR-4... time to make a mess in the garage looking for them. lol

Also need to see if Ferric Chloride has a shelf life.

jimilee

It's totally on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

Quote from: madbean on April 20, 2023, 02:35:55 AM
I love the blue FR-4. It's been years since I had any. But really - try a clear white LED instead of the red diffused. It's way better. I will update the doc.

3mm or 5mm or doesnt matter? Im curious

Nice etch by the way. Its a long time since I did one, but the last etch was a Lovetone Brown Source on blue FR4.

madbean

Quote from: LaceSensor on April 20, 2023, 10:36:13 PM
Quote from: madbean on April 20, 2023, 02:35:55 AM

3mm or 5mm or doesnt matter? Im curious

Nice etch by the way. Its a long time since I did one, but the last etch was a Lovetone Brown Source on blue FR4.

TY! It reminded me why I don't do handmade boards anymore, haha. Hard to believe I made literally thousands of them.

Anyway, I used 5mm but I don't think it will matter much.