News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Burns Buzzaround (Dizzy Tone) with Squidward (EQD Tentacle) Octave Up

Started by Bio77, May 07, 2023, 01:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

Whew!  Been cooking this up for two years now.  I think Chris (thewintersoldier) built a Dizzy and gave me the FOMO.  Anyway, he helped me with the specs for the tranies and the decision to pair it with the Tentacle.  Bret (Bret608) sent me the transistor set. Thanks Bret! 

It took so long because I has this concept in mind and I was never satisfied with the execution.  It always needed something.  The horn idea was something I was keeping my eye out.  Even schemed with Dawson to 3D print some, but it didn't work out.  Eric (EBK) gave me the idea for the clay in one of his PFUK builds.  So these are brass inserts from SB with Fimo clay.  Maxwell's Demon is a physics nerd thing, means chaos. 

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

wow! super work, dude. It took me a few images to realize the toggles had horns! Nice touch.

Thewintersoldier

Damn John, that's rad as hell. The dizzy tone is my favorite fuzz and this is the coolest one I've ever seen. So glad to finally see this happen after we talked about it, in 2020 lol but it was worth the wait. That no film is flawless! Great job 😍
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 07, 2023, 01:00:28 PM
Damn John, that's rad as hell. The dizzy tone is my favorite fuzz and this is the coolest one I've ever seen. So glad to finally see this happen after we talked about it, in 2020 lol but it was worth the wait. That no film is flawless! Great job 😍
Yeah, it did take awhile  :P  I'm focusing on my backlog these day....and new TWS FOMOs  ;D

benny_profane

Bret608

Oh man, that's why you were asking around about making horns that time! That is awesome that you pulled that off. Glad the transistors worked out as well. It looks like you might have swapped what I had tentatively identified for Q2 and Q3. Sounds like higher gain hitting that lower-gain 2n281 might have worked out better!

Bio77

Quote from: Bret608 on May 08, 2023, 12:49:24 PM
Oh man, that's why you were asking around about making horns that time! That is awesome that you pulled that off. Glad the transistors worked out as well. It looks like you might have swapped what I had tentatively identified for Q2 and Q3. Sounds like higher gain hitting that lower-gain 2n281 might have worked out better!
Thanks again for the hook ups, Bret!  That's interesting, I didn't try swapping them, I will.  I'm not a fuzz connoisseur, which is why I need the help form yous guys  ;D

Bret608

I think I had intended for the 2n281 to be Q2 as it was 59 hfe and low leakage. Among the 2n217, one was about 40 hfe so was supposed to be Q1, and the other was about 100 hfe and leakier so ideal for Q3. I might have written that on the little bags but forgive me if I didn't! If it sounds good maybe just go with it...

blackhatboojum

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Aleph Null

Really cool idea! Looks functional as well as aesthetically striking. I imagine the horns make it easier to twist knobs on the fly with a foot.

jjjimi84

Bio77

dawson

Those horns turned out great!
Super cool double-build.

*I still can't find a way to do curved horns in Fusion360  ::)
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.