News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pickup Simulator details

Started by JackSkellington, May 11, 2023, 04:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hello, I'm looking for some weird and new project, and I got into the pickup simulation by AMZ Muzique. http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

I'm gonna build the project with the transformer, but I'm interesting in the LRC type (inductor, resistance and capacitor), trying to create (of course very approximately seeing all the variable) Fender, Gibson and other pickups I found all the parameters I need.
Resistor is a resistor, cap is a cap. But what about the inductor?

I found a project that use this kind: http://www.banzaimusic.com/bourns-2124-v-rc.html
But that is only 1H and just it, it's very limited to be used for vary pickup models. And (though I'm not sure) if I can use it in series to get 3, 4 or higher Henry values that will became a very large project!

I'm wondering... can I use this other kind of inductors?
http://www.banzaimusic.com/ctc-ec24-1uh.html (Especially this small one).
http://www.banzaimusic.com/ctc-ch6080-10uh.html
Or thise are not the same and don't work for the target?

Thanks. :)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

mauman

The inductors you linked are all very small values, in the milliHenry (1/1000) and microHenry (1/1,000,000) range.  You'll need between 1 and 10 Henry (roughly) to simulate a guitar pickup.

Possibilities:
- Buy a cheap guitar pickup on eBay (less than $10 for a Chinese dual rail humbucker) which will contain the inductance, resistance and capacitance you need.  Just be sure to shield it well, like in it's own metal enclosure. Here's one I did like that, to go between a wireless guitar rig and a Fuzz Face.  Includes switchable pot and tone cap values.
- Or use one of the Xicon 42-TLxxxx transformers, some of which measure 1 Henry or more.  You can add resistance or capacitance as needed.

For extensive specs on lots of different pickups: https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys406/sp2017/406emi_guitar_pickup_results.html

JackSkellington

Ok, I did a bit of confusion with the unit.

Your pedal is really nice! And I know the idea of the pickup inside works fine, but my target is to work on the value of the parts to get (just ideally and in theory) the response of the most famous pickup model. A random pickup doesn't help me. Then, considering the cost of the pickup, eventually I prefer the transformers.

If I can't find any kind of inductor from 1H to 8H (from vintage to modern pickup) maybe I can make some selection of the transformers. But I need some information about this thing.

If I look inductance and primary impedance (that I assume are the parameters that make the transformers work in this schematic) in the chart posted above I can select these transformers. (The coils used is the primary so I'm totally ignoring the secondary).
42TL021: 1.50H - 4k
42TL018: 2.55H - 7k
42TL019: 3.44H - 10k
42TL012: 5.38H - 10k

(These are the ones I can find in my favorite shops):

I know TL019 it is good for the project, and I TL018, too. I can guess the TL012 is fine, too. What about TL021 with lower inductor and impedance?

mauman

Your selection of transformer depends on which pickup you want to simulate.  In Illinois University site I linked, there are downloadable spreadsheets with measured inductance, resistance, impedance, capacitance and other factors for many different pickups.  For example, the primary of a 42TL018 transformer @ 2.5 H is pretty close to pickup #7a in the Illinois U. spreadsheet, which is a 2001 Fender Vintage Telecaster neck pickup (2.9 H @ 120 Hz.)  However, the DC resistance, impedance and other values may be quite different between the transformer and the pickup.  Inductance and impedance also vary with frequency.  So the question would be: how close do you need to get?

JackSkellington

From the page you linked to me early I downloaded that excel file where there are a lot of pickups with a lot of value. I had it, but I forgot it. That will be very useful.

how close do I need to get? Well... I think it's impossible to get the exactly response of a single pickup, impossible because there are too many variants and influences. And probably a bit pointless, though I would like to try it, because the sound is not made from that pickup simulator, but the signal comes from our guitar, through the cable and pedal chain.
But I just like the idea to get the response of the pickup simulator more similar to a Fender single coil, clean and bright, or a Gibson PAF stronger and beefier. If all this has sense.

I have in the cart for my next order a TL019, because the "019" is the one in the Jack Orman schematic, TL and not TM because that should be the same, but it's slightly smaller and cheaper where I'm going to buy.
I'm not sure I want to buy all the four transformers, thought it could be interesting.