News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD! (are NADs a thing?) and some hustling

Started by jwin615, May 19, 2023, 06:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwin615

Bought $300 of gear in auction from Pam Tillis's retired sound guy.
I picked it up today, carried it to the local Sam Ash as well as a few microphones I'll never use again. Mics were probably worth $300-350.
Anyway, end of the day I now have a road case for my Randall RM 50, a Yamaha spx 990, a GK 210 bass cab and this new beauty in addition to $600 in cash. Not a bad hustle.
I've been eyeballing one of these for a while so did some bartering with the Sam Ash rep.
It has a variable output, 1-20W and blends between 6V6 and EL84 output stages. And the mandatory effects loop.
If I love it, I'll likely unload the RM50. As cool as it is(modular preamps, serial and parallel fx loops), it's just to damn loud for my needs these days.

jimilee

Very cool! I really like Egnater stuffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jwin615

Quote from: jimilee on May 19, 2023, 07:20:17 PM
Very cool! I really like Egnater stuffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As do I. The RM series were all Bruce's design and licensed tech. Then he did the modular stuff in house before letting Synergy get a hold of it. Outside of the Rivera amps, probably some of the most feature rich amps I've seen.
But, will it djent?  ;D

gordo

It will djent.  I love those little amps.  Only word of caution is treat it nicely.  They're very well made but a royal bugger to work on.  Be nice to the switches and it should give you years of good service.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

I had one and really liked it. The drive tones are great. Although I have to admit that I could not realistically hear any difference between EL84 and 6V6. As I recall, the EL84s had slightly more high end, but you could just adjust the EQ with 6V6s and get the same tone.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jwin615

Little update.
Got it plugged in last weekend annnnnddd...
The EL84 is red plating. About 5 minutes in and the signal randomly squarwaved.
Debating whether to return it or try to fix it.  I'm doubtful the local Sam Ash has anyone qualified to bias an amp but I'll be nearing the halfway point on the return window by the time I get back home...
Not concerned about biasing it myself as that's pretty simple on these. But I'm not hip enough to tell if there's another issue going on.

Drew Hallenbeck

Bruce Egnater is a super nice guy and very approachable. He's pretty active in a few different amp and pedal building groups on Facebook.
You might be able to reach out and see if there's a known issue with your specific amp (production date/revision).
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.