News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Found Device/End times Fuzz

Started by jwin615, May 20, 2023, 08:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwin615

A fuzz for/from the end times. Mostly a stock fuzzly bear build.
I don't share many builds here but I put a lot of time into this one, both cosmetics and errors.
Borked the switch, broke solid core wires, DC jack wouldn't fit, burnt the DC smoothing cap, ya know.
But more importantly, the cosmetics. Everything used was on hand already, except the outie DC jack.
This started as a build for a friend so I wanted it to be special. I haven't mastered tayda yet but wanted something that looked awesome and would hold up.

I settled on the idea of a "found" pedal. As in, found post apocalypse while also sounding like a pending apocalypse.

Started with bare aluminum. All paints used were duplicolor auto paint/primer or industrial grade. Duplicolor matte topcoat. There's even some Mercury Mystique green in there. The added texture is from using ultra fine steel wool as a ""brush". There were multiple coats that were smeared and partially sanded down. No real plan. Just winging it as I went. Probably 7-8 coats between the primer and top clear coats.
The photos really don't do it justice. My phone's camera is so so, basement lighting is worse. A lot of detail missing there and too much glare but you get the idea.
In my frustrations, I didn't clean the board up before boxing. It's also been partially unboxed a few times for repairs mentioned above. In the end times, we don't care about flux.
Have rusky ge diodes in there and will mess around with different transistors with my friend. It's pretty splatty on my 5 string bass but he isn't tuned as low so we'll start here.
Added a trimmer for led but my values are off so there's minimal adjustment.
Should have lowered the CLR on the board and increased the trimmer more.
Aside from being splatty on the low notes, this guy is a buzz saw. Even with Ge diodes, it's pretty damn loud too.  Haven't played with it much off the bench but excited to stack it.
Oh, and the knob protector bar(is there a technical name for these?) Was a pseudo handle off a strange bbd half rack delay I salvaged for parts. Looks to have all been hand made including those "rack handles". I roughed it up a bit more and dripped some matte clear on it for more texture.

jessenator

I love it!

Super concept with the post apocalyptic vibes. Also nice work salvaging the 1U rack handle, really adds to it.

jwin615

Thanks Jesse. It's pretty awesome in the hand. It has a texture that just feels like it was left in a bucket for 20 years.
Glad this one is done though. Such a simple build had so many nagging issues.
The tayda solid core caused me so many issues with this one. I'm so over it now. That's why my wiring is so excessive. Snapped so many wires in troubleshooting and fitment check that when it came time to finally box it, I just twisted it up and went with it. Didn't want to pull it out again over another broken solid core.
Need to get sound to figuring out tayda UV service. Drilling and all is my least favorite part of the process. I'd rather troubleshoot for 3 days...
Going back to pilling up populated pcbs and boxing a bunch of ugly pedals for now.  Maybe try some acrylic pouring again.

jwin615

Still on the fence on adding the distressed dymo punched labels I made for it. Will probably let my buddy decide