News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

small parts "barn find"

Started by jessenator, May 21, 2023, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

So I had never thought to ask a neighbor (who worked many years in appliance/electronics repair) if he had any stuff he'd be willing to part with until now.

Picked up an old tackle box off stuff, which while not large, was a very welcome addition. I looked up most of the IC and component P/Ns and picked out the one's I think would be the most useful in our sphere of DIY (left-hand side). In addition were some BJTs, and a smattering of carbon resistors, ceramic and film caps.

If any of the other P/Ns seem useful or could otherwise be utilized, I'd appreciate the insight. I'm happy to PiF any of the chips I don't know a use for (right-hand side) if you have one. No way to verify any of their working condition, but if the transistors are anything to go by, they should still be good.

url for the full-size image https://i.imgur.com/DndWEfL.jpg

jwin615

Hex inverters can make for a cool square wave fuzz. Iirc runoffgroove has one but I think it was a 4049.  I think Way Huge had a CMOS hex fuzz in production at one point. Maybe Orman design based? Is early so the ole 486 upstairs is still warming up...

Edited for "now I'm awake" spelling corrections

gordo

I keep holding out hope I'll find a crate of SAD1024's.  I probably have a better chance of regrowing all my lost hair.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jessenator

Quote from: gordo on May 22, 2023, 12:14:18 PM
I keep holding out hope I'll find a crate of SAD1024's.  I probably have a better chance of regrowing all my lost hair.
;D wouldn't that be something!

I'm just glad I got a 741 and a 3080 to try in a Graphic Fuzz breadboard before I do boards of it

jwin615

Quote from: jessenator on May 22, 2023, 01:49:31 PM
Quote from: gordo on May 22, 2023, 12:14:18 PM
;D wouldn't that be something!

I'm just glad I got a 741 and a 3080 to try in a Graphic Fuzz breadboard before I do boards of it
Are you doing the ESR or the EHX graphic fuzz?
I assume it's the one from the SP-SD fuzz thread but I was never sure which was being referenced since there's mention of the microsynth fuzz circuit....

jessenator

Quote from: jwin615 on May 22, 2023, 07:44:05 PM
Are you doing the ESR or the EHX graphic fuzz?
I assume it's the one from the SP-SD fuzz thread but I was never sure which was being referenced since there's mention of the microsynth fuzz circuit....

Yeah, I didn't catch until I had redrawn the bosstone+more fuzz which one was the final iteration.

I went with Bosstone into ESR graphic fuzz. I redrew fuzzdog's schematic into eagle because it was the most comprehensible (I'm really terrible at reading old MS paint-drawn schematics, and FD's was at least in some iteration of Eagle so I knew where pins were), but I think I did something wrong.

I breadboarded just this circuit and I'm getting nothing, so I borked it somewhere, but I'm too tired to suss it out tonight.

jwin615

That stinks. Hope you get it sorted.
The ESR seems to, from my reading, be a *very* sensitive circuit.
Input impedance/load is a big deal. It's one of those first in chain fuzzes AFAIK.
Reading over the comments on an old diysb thread and a stripboard thread, seems many have had issues with it. I contemplated veroing it, but it seemed too troublesome. If you get it sorted and are happy with it, count me in as first buyer for a board for sure.  The bosstone into ESR tone has me sold.
Hoping to find time to break out the microsynth and feed it into the KMA before I gift it. Unfortunately, it stopped working once I put the baseplate on. ?!?
For such a simple build, it's been a PitA. Will sort it out when I get back later this week...

jwin615

Sure you've read this thread already.
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?p=250813#p250813
Storyboardist had a pcb of it at one point called the oscillot. Maybe they can chime in?

jessenator

Oh, the error is on my side, for sure.

I've been doing everything in my pedal building exploits alllllll backwards. I've never done a successful breadboard, nor have I really wanted to (long story) since I can get PCBs made and for so cheap.

I'm repenting, and getting back to basics.

With both pots cranked, I'm getting barely any dry signal, but dry signal nonetheless, so my wiring is off somehow. The circuit might be just fine, but until I check it in pinning this all on user error.

If there's a better schematic of the ESR GF, I'll use that, but generally, I'm just shite at breadboarding.

jessenator

Okay, so I'm a total dumbass

After having tried the circuit as is, my stupid brain finally figured out I'm supposed to make a voltage divider. Also, the weird grounding happening in the original is what I followed : Finally going back to and "OG" schematic and it works now. But HFS were they not lying about how unruly this thing is!

Popped a fuzzface in front and it became strangely more manageable, and with better tonality. Need to build the actual front half.

jwin615

Back to the OP, just found this. Match parts to circuits project.
There's a home for the LF353 there for sure.

https://dvhx.github.io/what-can-i-build/search.html

jessenator

Quote from: jwin615 on June 03, 2023, 07:29:08 AM

Thanks, dude, that's a nifty little site. That's getting a bookmark.

jwin615

Quote from: jessenator on June 03, 2023, 09:08:00 AM
Quote from: jwin615 on June 03, 2023, 07:29:08 AM

Bookmark this too

https://github.com/dvhx/stripboard2schematic
Thanks, dude, that's a nifty little site. That's getting a bookmark.