News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eagle CAD - End of Life in 2026

Started by culturejam, June 07, 2023, 05:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Quote from: culturejam on June 07, 2023, 07:02:31 PM
You might be talking about Altium. But I honestly don't think even Eagle's highest-priced option is in the same ballpark as Altium. Probably not the reason.
That's the one.

Quote from: culturejam on June 07, 2023, 07:02:31 PM
The likeliest reason is that they want you to migrate to Fusion360.
heh, I didn't even know about Fusion360. Haven't looked too deeply, but it sounds like a take on Adobe's CC software as a [rental] service

jwin615

Quote from: derevaun on June 08, 2023, 08:42:24 PM
Weird, I had just sat down to learn Diptrace a couple days ago and decided I need a good reason first. But it's really the second shoe dropping after Autodesk bought it. I steer my students away from their stuff because it's an unwise investment of time and learning, except for AutoCAD I guess.

It will be interesting to see how Adafruit and Sparkfun react to the news. Their communities, along with especially this one, were the main reasons I bothered to learn Eagle. As long as 7.x continues to work, I'm good, but it seems like EasyEDA is worth exploring rather than learn another byzantine library management system for KiCAD or Diptrace. Looking at EasyEDA's feature list, the free version doesn't have DRC?
My biggest worry with easyeda, aside from how much Chinese gov money is likely behind it, is if it goes to a sub or "+/max" model. I have no reason to think that it would as it seems deved to get you to use their partner services but, who knows what their agreement terms are with them? Once the agreement/contract is up that likely gives jlpcb exclusivity, what's next? Monthly sub? I could see the possibility.
At least with kicad, I know it will always be free and open and it, along with the plugins, continue to develop and a nice pace. Additionally, I can only see that getting better as more.migrate from eagle.

gordo

I think I mostly just need to get my butt back in the ring and start working on stuff again.  I redid the layout on my old BlueDog and it failed and was never able to troubleshoot why.  Kinda took the wind out of my sails for a bit especially since I knew I was probably looking right at the problem.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on June 09, 2023, 09:35:10 PM
I think I mostly just need to get my butt back in the ring and start working on stuff again.  I redid the layout on my old BlueDog and it failed and was never able to troubleshoot why.  Kinda took the wind out of my sails for a bit especially since I knew I was probably looking right at the problem.
I concur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on June 08, 2023, 12:09:20 AM
I'd love to go to Altium but I don't see it ever happening. I could pretty much use Eagle 7.5 for the next 10 years without issue. Jeez, I'm even sick of paying for the Adobe Master Suite. I've probably put over $6k into it and I still don't own the goddam software!

Altium is wonderful, but extremely expensive.

It's easily the most configurable PCB layout program I've used and really easy to break via settings, or at least it was when I used it last.  But if you are good at writing code (I'm not), you can do an awful lot with it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Haberdasher

I've been on Diptrace for years now and never going back to Eagle anyway. If I had to stop using DT for some reason I'd maybe look into KiCad. Haven't tried EasyEDA.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

vattern

For those wanting to give KiCad a go, it also has an "Import Eagle" option. Not tried it in anger, but from what I remember it pulled in the board OK.

aion

Quote from: jimilee on June 08, 2023, 02:33:27 AM
Quote from: madbean on June 08, 2023, 12:09:20 AM
I'd love to go to Altium but I don't see it ever happening. I could pretty much use Eagle 7.5 for the next 10 years without issue. Jeez, I'm even sick of paying for the Adobe Master Suite. I've probably put over $6k into it and I still don't own the goddam software!
Is 7.5 an offline version

Yeah, everything up to 7.7 is offline/lifetime, although Autodesk has been trying to discourage new installations lately, saying stuff like "your perpetual license will continue to function forever on your current machine" (e.g. in the FAQ here) which is the Platonic ideal of corporate doublespeak. From what I've read, I believe as long as you keep the .key file and you have the download code and installation code from a previous installation, you can still activate on a new machine - all they've done is discontinue the delivery of key files for existing accounts trying to install it someplace new if you don't have them saved (ref. this forum post).

jimilee

Ah, ok. That makes me feel better. Thank you sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

I'm guessing the answer is "no," but figured I'd ask anyway:

Is it still possible to purchase a perpetual license for v7.2? That's the last rev that runs on OS X Lion (10.7) which is my stationary ol' reliable.

nzCdog

(dredge...ooops :-[ )

End of an era! Havent had life-bandwidth for hobbying, but recently dug up an abandoned project to complete.
Does anyone have one of the older free 7.x version installer (Win) of Eagle CAD I could pilfer?  Tried the new autodesk versions and installs but wont run on my Win11 machine. 

Also, hi!  Long time ;D

madbean

Quote from: nzCdog on September 12, 2023, 04:02:30 AM
(dredge...ooops :-[ )

End of an era! Havent had life-bandwidth for hobbying, but recently dug up an abandoned project to complete.
Does anyone have one of the older free 7.x version installer (Win) of Eagle CAD I could pilfer?  Tried the new autodesk versions and installs but wont run on my Win11 machine. 

Also, hi!  Long time ;D

I'm sure that I do. I'll look.

nzCdog