News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My foray into Solid State amps

Started by jimilee, June 22, 2023, 07:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So I wondered what the deal was with pedals that are meant to emulate tube amps or preamps. All of my amps are tube amps, so I decided to pick one up on the cheap. Picked up a Marshall Code 50 50watt SS amp used for 149 and free shipping from sam ash.

After I  played with all the emulations for a couple of days while waiting for an ear infection to clear up, it was time. I built a TS-10 sounded good.  I tested a few others, a Piercing overdrive (Tim pierce) and a TS-7. Sounding better. Next was a Hudson side car. The diodes I used were 1n270, 4148 and a red LED. The bass pot on that thing is huge. The amp came to life and literally shook the floor. Amazing! I must say, some of these pedals make more sense on an SS amp.

As a pedal builder, I can recommend getting one (for research purposes, of course) and giving it a try, I think you'll be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

How's the multi-band eq on the Sidecar?

I haven't tried a TS or similar into a solid state in a while. I have s lonely 10" combo I could start playing with again, until I figure out the black magic curse that is my house's grounding and can use my Pretender hum free.

jimilee

Quote from: jessenator on June 22, 2023, 08:16:27 PM
How's the multi-band eq on the Sidecar?

I haven't tried a TS or similar into a solid state in a while. I have s lonely 10" combo I could start playing with again, until I figure out the black magic curse that is my house's grounding and can use my Pretender hum free.
The multi band EQ gets the job done nicely. The bass pumps without being farty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.