News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why is my Op Amp smoking?

Started by groovy_guy, July 02, 2023, 10:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groovy_guy

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out what is wrong here. I recently built a dual buffer using the Klon buffer schematic. I used the TL072 to build 2x buffers in 1. When I connect the power (DC 9V) it starts to smoke. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the op amp but not certain. This happened the first time when the board was in the enclosure so I thought maybe something was touching the enclosure that shouldn't have been and causing a short. But I tried it on a second build without placing it in an enclosure and the same thing happened. I have attached my schematic. If anyone could spot any mistakes that would be appreciated. Otherwise I must have a short on the board somewhere that I haven't been able to spot.

Thanks

madbean

Your schematic looks fine. Smoking amp likely means too much current is being pulled. This could be from a shorted polarity protection diode or shorted decoupling caps on v+ or vb.

groovy_guy

Thanks for the advice. I finally worked out the issue. I bloody used 10k resistors instead of 100k for R5 and R9! Swapped them out and it now works perfectly with no smoke :)

mjg

I was going to suggest peer pressure, because it thought it would make it look cool?  But yeah, the resistors might do it too  ;)

gordo

It starts off with one or two and before you know it they're up to a pack a day.  :-)

Glad you got this sorted out.  In a recent build I mistook a NE5532 for a NE555 (ones an audio amp, the other a timer).  Not only did the transistor get hot but I touched the metal back plane (smooth move on my part) and it branded one of my fingers.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on July 03, 2023, 11:53:46 PM
It starts off with one or two and before you know it they're up to a pack a day.  :-)

I blame the parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

JackSkellington

Quote from: groovy_guy on July 03, 2023, 10:20:47 AM
Thanks for the advice. I finally worked out the issue. I bloody used 10k resistors instead of 100k for R5 and R9! Swapped them out and it now works perfectly with no smoke :)

Excuse me, but why 10k resistors to the ground before the output make your op-amp smoke? It doesn't seem to me something so bad, or I wrong?
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

groovy_guy

Quote from: JackSkellington on July 04, 2023, 08:09:17 AM
Quote from: groovy_guy on July 03, 2023, 10:20:47 AM

Excuse me, but why 10k resistors to the ground before the output make your op-amp smoke? It doesn't seem to me something so bad, or I wrong?

I have no idea! But I don't question it. All I know is it works now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

groovy_guy

Quote from: mjg on July 03, 2023, 09:48:22 PM
I was going to suggest peer pressure, because it thought it would make it look cool?  But yeah, the resistors might do it too  ;)

Now I feel like a ciggy. This TL072 is a bad influence 😤

bluelagoon

Probably smoking cause did not read the Surgeon Generals warning on the pack of cigarettes

jwin615

Quote from: bluelagoon on July 10, 2023, 03:21:50 PM
Probably smoking cause did not read the Surgeon Generals warning on the pack of cigarettes
Everyone knows opampa can't read. They just repeat what they've heard before. In one ear, out the other.