News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Effects Layouts Crystal Shard

Started by Tremster, August 04, 2023, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremster

I finished the Effects Layouts Crystal Shard: https://effectslayouts.com/product/crystal-shard/
It's a modified mashup of the EQD Chrysalis and Arrows aka an Electra circuit, and I like its character but do feel that it's quite a bit on the bright side.
In the BOM it says that it's "ripe for experimentation" but what could I do to get rid of the really excessive treble and instead add some bass and body? Increase C2 and C8? To what values?
I will definitely change the volume pot to a logarithmic one because it gets too loud too quickly.
Other than that it's a nice pedal, a simple uncompressed Overdrive.

Thank you!

jwin615

If you chanch C6 to 10n, for instance, the low pass would sweep 600hz -16k
Right now it's lowest corner freq is 1.3k
Maybe try a 6.8n or so there? Anything between 4.7 and 10n would be a more usable sweep I think.
I would increase C7, you'll get more bass through. 10n seems awfully small there. The other bypass caps are 100n and 220n. Unless you want to play bass through it, I'd stick to 100n at C7 to start. If that gets your lowend back, but the tone isn't responsive enough, toy with C6. Maybe up C2 a smidge, but I wouldn't.
The output cap and resistor are rolling off around 33hz, so no lowend blockage there.

jwin615

I'd recommend audio probing if you have the setup. You should have decent lowend  just before the tone control. If you don't, double check you values around the input.

Tremster

Tremster

Changed those two caps as per your suggestion and now the pedal sounds much better. Thanks again.

jwin615

Quote from: Tremster on August 07, 2023, 11:44:53 AM
Changed those two caps as per your suggestion and now the pedal sounds much better. Thanks again.
Rock n roll!
Mind documenting what you changed and to what values for the future generations to find?