News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Neurotron / Lovetone Ring Stinger

Started by danfrank, August 07, 2023, 06:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Hi everybody!
Just finished this one. Great documentation, great quality board but it took a while as it's a pretty involved build. I had to troubleshoot once built because the toggle switch was defective... That was a pain to change out... My fault because I didn't check the switch before I installed it.
Anyway, this thing makes a lot of weird noises, the ring modulator is a good one though.
As always, the cosmetics on mine are extremely minimalist!

jimilee

Wooohoo, nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

cool. curious how and why you implemented a level control?

danfrank

If I built it again I would leave it out, the levels are well matched but I didn't know this going into the build.

LaceSensor

Quote from: danfrank on August 07, 2023, 10:25:23 PM
If I built it again I would leave it out, the levels are well matched but I didn't know this going into the build.

re-read the accompanying literature, I missed that first pass some weeks ago.
Yeah I honestly dont think its needed, but thats a more elegant approach than the totally redundant super volume boost found on the "string ringer" clones

diablochris6

Very cool. I've built two Lovetones, one had a cool enclosure design, and the other was a simple Sharpie on a bare box like this. They both sound great though! The ring modulator would probably be the last one I'd build of this series for the usefulness factor, but I know these would be just cool as the others!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jessenator

Nice work!

Quote from: danfrank on August 07, 2023, 06:06:20 PM
My fault because I didn't check the switch before I installed it.
I certainly didn't do this with my last build. No, not at all.  *cries into his desoldering pump*

danfrank

Hey LaceSensor... A quick question about this pedal. I get a lot of artifacts in "ring" mode that sound like static. This happens when the sound decays of what's being played. Kind of sounds like a noise gate type thing, when no sound is going through the pedal, it's absolutely quiet - no static sounds. Also when actively playing, no staticy sounds either, just when notes are decaying... Is this normal?
One more thing, this doesn't happen at all in "octave" mode, just "ring" mode.
Thanks for your time.

Betty Wont

Quote from: jessenator on August 09, 2023, 12:23:40 AM
Nice work!

Quote from: danfrank on August 07, 2023, 06:06:20 PM
My fault because I didn't check the switch before I installed it.
I certainly didn't do this with my last build. No, not at all.  *cries into his desoldering pump*
I recently surpassed 5000 pedals built, and I have yet to encounter a switch, foot or toggle, that doesn't work. Nor have I ever had a repair return. But I hear about them a lot on these forums. Makes me wonder what's up. I use the same Tayda shit as everybody.

jessenator

Quote from: Betty Wont on August 09, 2023, 05:10:22 AM
I recently surpassed 5000 pedals built, and I have yet to encounter a switch, foot or toggle, that doesn't work. Nor have I ever had a repair return. But I hear about them a lot on these forums. Makes me wonder what's up. I use the same Tayda shit as everybody.
These two on my Dragunn Thlayur—since it was for a personal project—came out of my "might have been used" box, and though they looked clean, they must be from the crappier than crap era of early Tayda switches (ca. 2010), which I though I purged from my parts bin (back around that time I had an entire order of 3 3PDTs and DPDTs all bad out of the box). On the SPDT, the leg is actually loose, which it certainly wasn't when I soldered it in there. The 3PDT just straight up has issues when bypassed and has to be jiggled. I blame the cheap epoxy used at that time (and myself for using it). Could have easily tested before hand, but thankfully I didn't wire them through the lugs, so they should come out nicely. My hyperbolic comment was just for laughs and commiseration.

Bio77

Quote from: Betty Wont on August 09, 2023, 05:10:22 AM
I've had switches fail in my early days when I would heat them up too much during soldering.  I knew it was my fault because when I did the de-bug I noticed the lugs of the switch were wobbly like a loose tooth.  I've never seen loose lugs on a new switch  ;D 

bgrugle

Did you have any trouble with the transformer calibration? Mine works and sounds great, but I didn't notice any significant volume drop when I adjusted that trimmer.

danfrank

I really didn't notice much difference in the setting of that trimmer... So I just left it in the center or thereabouts