News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Been gone for 5-6 years? What happened?

Started by blearyeyes, October 21, 2023, 04:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

Been dusting off my workbench.. finding some amazing memories buried under all the mess..So many projects. How has everybody been?
My last project was a Flintlock Flanger and it got the better of me. It was the first project that I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I also bought a Fractal and lost the spark to try and get a good sound through pedals. Well after crashing and burning, forced retirement and a fall into the whiskey bottle I ended up in rehab and have been clean for over 5 years. Just started to get the itch to build again. I got out the flanger and looked it over. Took me about 10 minutes to see what was wrong. A jumper was backwards.  Man. I spent weeks trouble shooting that thing. I think I have at least 30 projects waiting to be built and at least 15 waiting to be boxed... I have some of Rej's stuff from Grind so if anyone knows where his build docs landed that would be cool.  Went to the Philippenes over Christmas and New years. Gives you perspective on where you're at. I live in Southern California. Big difference... Got engaged to a Filipina and have been enjoying the 2+ year struggle with Immigration as my city gets overrun with immigrants that don't even need to get a visa... So anyway just tryin to stay alive..

Cheers!
Dan

jimilee

Heeeyyy Dan, welcome back!! We all come back around eventually. Been sober for 17 years, the struggle is real. Keep it up. Congrats on the new little lady and good luck in your quest through immigration.

With builds like the flintlock, fresh eyes do the trick. We've seen traffic decline on the forum, over the years, unfortunately, but some of us are still here. What build docs are you looking for, I have some and some live on Juan Solo's server still.  Internet searches will turn them up sometimes.  You might be able to use the wayback machine, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

Yo Dan

Nice to see you again!
Sounds like you're bouncing back nicely. I can relate some, since I don't smoke or drink anymore myself. Nearly 20 years now I think. Boy, do I wish I could have all the $$ back I blew on that stuff.
Wow, congrats on the lady friend. Nice going!
I have all the grind stuff. Let me know if you still need it and I can drop the whole zip file on ya.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gordo

Whoa, great to see you back in action.  You still writing/recording???
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

Quote from: jimilee on October 21, 2023, 12:41:17 PM
Heeeyyy Dan, welcome back!! We all come back around eventually. Been sober for 17 years, the struggle is real. Keep it up. Congrats on the new little lady and good luck in your quest through immigration.

With builds like the flintlock, fresh eyes do the trick. We've seen traffic decline on the forum, over the years, unfortunately, but some of us are still here. What build docs are you looking for, I have some and some live on Juan Solo's server still.  Internet searches will turn them up sometimes.  You might be able to use the wayback machine, too.

Looks like the Good Guys are still hanging around! So Cool.  Nice to see ya Jimi!

blearyeyes

Quote from: gordo on October 21, 2023, 05:24:18 PM
Whoa, great to see you back in action.  You still writing/recording???

Yea still plugging away. Taking a break and gonna focus on building just to stay occupied. Here's a bunch of  eclectic stuff. Musings of an old man.. hehe. Great to see your still here Gordo!

https://harrison-winter.bandcamp.com/

blearyeyes

Quote from: Haberdasher on October 21, 2023, 05:09:12 PM
Yo Dan

Nice to see you again!
Sounds like you're bouncing back nicely. I can relate some, since I don't smoke or drink anymore myself. Nearly 20 years now I think. Boy, do I wish I could have all the $$ back I blew on that stuff.
Wow, congrats on the lady friend. Nice going!
I have all the grind stuff. Let me know if you still need it and I can drop the whole zip file on ya.

Yea I look at the booze walking by at SAMS club and see the $150 bottle of whatever and think, get drunk and be broke too! What a deal. I still have that pedal you etched the faceplate for.. I don't know how you do that. I could use the.  Zip file. I have some docs but still haven't gotten to the bottom of the pile. I found a Cascadia and I think Jubal81 did that? I don't know, can't remember. I'll DM my email to ya. Great to see you again!

Luke51411

I've been gone around the same time! I've been living in Mexico then the UK and had my gear in storage with my parents so I haven't had time or space to build. I'm back in the USA now for the forseeable future so going through all my old stuff. I have tons of half-built projects as well. Great to see you around!

blearyeyes

Hey Luke, yeah I have a shelf full of finished boards but they need to be boxed...
Then a few problem boards that need a few tweaks...
So of course instead I started a few new projects. Ahhh!

I found 6 or 7 VFE boards that I would like to build.. it's crazy.

Sounds like you've had some interesting experiences. I was in Manila last year for a month.. That was a trip. Literally and figuratively. Hehe Welcome back!

What were you doing traveling around?

Chinaski

Welcome back and congrats on the girl and the sobriety!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GrindCustoms

Hey Dan, glad to see you back, feels like couple old timers are making their way back onto this forum that many of us called home.

Glad to hear that you where able to get back on your feet after your struggles, it ain't easy but once you get back on top, the clarity that comes with it makes it so much more rewarding.

There's a download link for all of the GCFX docs in it's section of the forum, if there's anything missing for the projects you have in hand, DM me and I'll fix it.

Cheers!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

chromesphere

Hi guys, feels like a school reunion, thought i would poke my head in as well!
Been a long time.  Pedal store is still going strong, but I have been missing DIY lately. 
Ive been wanting a laser cutter / etcher for a while, so went and bought this (12watts).
Hitting the books to learn how to operate it (properly) and looking forward to cranking out some pedal and non-pedal related DIY stuff. 
Anyway, going to have to make a habit of checking in more often then once every 3 years :D
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

GrindCustoms

Quote from: chromesphere on December 01, 2023, 08:13:09 AM
Been a long time.  Pedal store is still going strong, but I have been missing DIY lately. 
Ive been wanting a laser cutter / etcher for a while, so went and bought this (12watts).
Hitting the books to learn how to operate it (properly) and looking forward to cranking out some pedal and non-pedal related DIY stuff. 
Anyway, going to have to make a habit of checking in more often then once every 3 years :D

Hey Paul! Nice to hear from you, glad that the pedal store is doing good! Cheers!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jimilee

Hey Paul. Great to see you. It's DIY, just push buttons

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

chromesphere

Quote from: jimilee on December 01, 2023, 04:46:39 PM
Hey Paul. Great to see you. It's DIY, just push buttons

Thanks mate. Im super paranoid about safety with this thing, which probably isn't a bad thing.
But yes as far as operation goes im literally pushing buttons until I can smell burning then I know I'm on the right track.

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube