News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need Advice - Custom Analog Delay with Boost

Started by Bio77, November 12, 2023, 06:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

I recently got to meet the guitarist of a band I'm super into, and offered to make him a pedal.  So, he is currently using a MXR Carbon Copy set with a short slap-back delay.  He uses it for lead sections of songs.   He mentioned that it was a too clean sounding.  The other ask was that he used to have a MXR Micro Amp and would turn on both for leads.  He ditched the micro amp because hitting both pedals was distracting. 

My plan was to build an Aqua Baby (DM-2) and add the micro amp or other clean boost inline so both are activated by one foot switch.  So, since the clean sound was a problem, I'm wondering if a preamp would be a better choice?  Or maybe a transistor based boost?  What do you guys think?

jessenator

I'm not familiar with the input section of the dm-2 and how it would react, but with other circuits I've had great experiences with the lpb-1 style boost. Happy to chuck you a pot-sized-footprint pcb gratis if you want.

jimilee

I would think you'd want the DM-2 first you avoid a hot signal going in to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Thanks guys!  8)

Quote from: jessenator on November 12, 2023, 07:54:33 PM
I'm not familiar with the input section of the dm-2 and how it would react, but with other circuits I've had great experiences with the lpb-1 style boost. Happy to chuck you a pot-sized-footprint pcb gratis if you want.
That would be cool, thanks!  Let me figure out how I'm going to box it.  I was thinking of fabbing a foot switch version if the parts count was low enough. It would be handy.

Quote from: jimilee on November 12, 2023, 10:32:08 PM
I would think you'd want the DM-2 first you avoid a hot signal going in to it.
I was thinking that too,  I'll mess with every thing outside of the box before I commit. 

madbean

You could possibly adapt the DM-2 input to replace the Si buffer with a JFET boost, and make the boost part a pot or switch. But, there's no ready made sort of project that I know of that does so. It's an interesting idea, for sure.

Bio77

Thanks, Brian  8)  I'm going to try breadboarding some stuff and combine it with the AB.  I have a couple of populated boards that need a home.  Not sure, I want to mod the working ones, might try the LPB-1 first. 

Aentons

I have an EHX Deluxe Memory Boy and it has a gain knob that is boost after delay, maybe check that one out.

Bio77