Author Topic: Fallout Prime Series Teaser  (Read 516 times)

jessenator

• Electron Doctor
  • (un)Professional Hobby Collector
    • View Profile
Fallout Prime Series Teaser
« on: December 02, 2023, 08:42:43 PM »
I am …tentatively optimistic. Much better looking in the teaser than I was expecting. Interesting they're going for the F4 style (at least with Goggin's character) and smoothest ghoul I've ever seen ;D but it looks good and is showrun by the same guy who did Westworld. Maybe there will be other, more necrotic looking ones.

GrindCustoms

• Electron Doctor
  • Electrons are'nt bullshit dependant.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Prime Series Teaser
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 09:13:57 PM »
Looks very cool to me, i'm not a gamer but i've enjoyed watching game plays of Fallout, just a sucker for anything Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic, also digging the bits of humor and all that. Pretty sure i'll enjoy watching that show! :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jessenator

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 09:46:50 PM »
I'll admit, the one warning sign I've seen is the overseer(?)
cyclops
I'm not a fan of what looks like Fieg-esque humor. IDK, we'll see

Willybomb

• Electron Doctor
  • Willy, not really a bomb.
    • View Profile
    • RockStarGuitar
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 07:56:52 AM »
It looks like the sets/locations are taken from the games verbatim.  Looks to be closer to the source material than that horrible Discworld thing that came out a couple of years ago.

jessenator

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 09:44:42 AM »
Lord Todd has said that the show will share/be canon with the games, which will be interesting.

A few candid/leaked behind the scenes shots show a super accurate Red Rocket station. The shanty town kinda looks like Megaton, but unless Walton Goggins' character wanders everywhere, that town is in California wasteland. Also, another sign shows the NCR will be at least mentioned. I mean, it starts/flashes back to pre-war, but the majority of the show takes place in 2290s IIRC, so that's post-Fallout 4 time.

Apparently these location shots were done in the Midwest, but it's likely less expensive. Kinda wish they had more game-accurate Chryslus stuff, the Highwayman, Corvega, but I think I can forgive them, because they have practical fx power armor., I have cynical suspicions as to why they went with the T-60, besides the timeline, but it's looking promising.

GrindCustoms

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 11:22:33 AM »
cyclops

What is "Fieg-esque" means, language barrier hitting me hard on that one, tried to google and couldn't find answers, thank you!

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jessenator

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 12:42:27 PM »
cyclops

What is "Fieg-esque" means, language barrier hitting me hard on that one, tried to google and couldn't find answers, thank you!

Ah I spelled it wrong! Paul Feig is a director who has done both television and film work. He has a habit of letting actors improvise too much, even when the end result isn't good, which can actually be very unfunny and break immersion in the setting. The improv comedy that works best (outside of something like 'Whose Line is it Anyway?' show) is something like the US version of the Office, but good grief that Ghostbusters remake was the second worst thing about 2016. He's not the only one who does this, but he's the first person who came to my mind.

Fallout is dark humor, not sitcom humor. Anyway, end of my rant  ::)

GrindCustoms

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 12:49:52 PM »
cyclops

Ah I spelled it wrong! Paul Feig is a director who has done both television and film work. He has a habit of letting actors improvise too much, even when the end result isn't good, which can actually be very unfunny and break immersion in the setting. The improv comedy that works best (outside of something like 'Whose Line is it Anyway?' show) is something like the US version of the Office, but good grief that Ghostbusters remake was the second worst thing about 2016. He's not the only one who does this, but he's the first person who came to my mind.

Fallout is dark humor, not sitcom humor. Anyway, end of my rant  ::)

Oh gotcha, i get it now! Indeed, if it compromise the immersion, especially in fantasy/sci-fi stuff its not the best card to play.

Love me so good dark humor!

jessenator

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 01:19:32 PM »
He has a habit of letting actors improvise too much, even when the end result isn't good

Let me backpedal a bit and rephrase this:  He let's them improvise too much. Even if the 'joke' in the moment is funny on its own, a lot of time it's out of character, breaking immersion.

Invertiguy

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 05:11:58 AM »
As a longtime Fallout fan with over 2000 hours in New Vegas (and less but still significant time in FO3 and FO4), I'm both excited and nervous about this. Mostly I just hope that 1) it doesn't suck, and 2) they don't screw with the lore too much by trying to force the West Coast into the East Coast Bethesda Fallout mold.
Doomsday Devices

jessenator

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 07:55:38 AM »
As a longtime Fallout fan with over 2000 hours in New Vegas (and less but still significant time in FO3 and FO4), I'm both excited and nervous about this. Mostly I just hope that 1) it doesn't suck, and 2) they don't screw with the lore too much by trying to force the West Coast into the East Coast Bethesda Fallout mold.

Couldn't agree more. Can't remember off hand if I mentioned it here, but I really hope I don't see Pagliarulo's name on this project. Well, at the very least not in a lead writer role. But boy howdy if they somehow got Avellone, Gonzales, or Fenstermaker for even guest writers I would eat that sh*t right up!

Yeah I'm not excited for N*zihood of Steel. I've given 3 and 4 fair shakes, but I'm personally not a fan of the Bethesda flavor of open world. It's too hard to write an open world with cohesive narrative that… oh wait, Obsidian managed that. Strangely I don't mind it in Skyrim as much since the main story is room temperature oatmeal. I'll still eat it, but it's not a favorite. But in Skyrim you can at least avoid the main quest almost entirely and do nearly every other quest not in the main line. I feel like Joseph Anderson's critiques of 4 jive with me the most. It's a shame, because the developers clearly put in terribly long hours to make the games, and care was taken with 90% of the assets. Just seems like the direction was "get it done". Anyway…

You've got me beat by over 500 hours! I bow to you, sir.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 03:06:28 PM by jessenator »