News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Grounding to the Enclosure

Started by Aleph Null, December 20, 2023, 05:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

This isn't really an issue with PCB builds, but with vero I find it difficult sometimes to get grounding wires to everything. I've been thinking about just using the enclosure as a ground plane—tying lugs to the back of the potentiometer, etc. Aside from possibly corrosion breaking the ground connection, is there any other reason not to do this? Does any one else do it this way?

jimilee

Naaa, that's not a problem, maybe difficult, though. I ground the DC jack to the input jack to the stomp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mauman

I repaired a pedal just last week that depended on the enclosure for in/out jack shield grounds, it was crackly whenever you wiggled the plugs.  A direct ground run fixed it.  I like to use a star ground to some convenient point like the input or output jack shield, with direct runs to important ground points (like charge pump grounds) and daisy chaining the others (like LED grounds.)  You can also add a ground row to the vero and tie everything there.  If you need an expander for the jack shield connector, I like this kind:

jimilee

Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

Quote from: mauman on December 20, 2023, 09:17:40 PM
I repaired a pedal just last week that depended on the enclosure for in/out jack shield grounds, it was crackly whenever you wiggled the plugs.  A direct ground run fixed it.  I like to use a star ground to some convenient point like the input or output jack shield, with direct runs to important ground points (like charge pump grounds) and daisy chaining the others (like LED grounds.)  You can also add a ground row to the vero and tie everything there.  If you need an expander for the jack shield connector, I like this kind:

Looks like you're decoupling your effects from the power too.  I used to do that, but was getting weird results from any effects that weren't compression or distortion.

mauman

Quote from: Willybomb on December 22, 2023, 01:57:03 PM
Quote from: mauman on December 20, 2023, 09:17:40 PM

Looks like you're decoupling your effects from the power too.  I used to do that, but was getting weird results from any effects that weren't compression or distortion.
The power negative is tied to the star point (input jack shield) with all the circuit grounds, so everything is coupled.  The actual earth ground reference comes from the amp back thru the cable shields, since DC power supply "grounds" float.

Aleph Null

So it looks like a slightly higher chance of a flaky ground connection using the enclosure versus soldered wires....that makes sense. There are some builds that might be worth the risk.