News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What do I need to burn VFE PICs? [SOLVED]

Started by blearyeyes, January 18, 2024, 05:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I need to burn 3 pics for the switching boards on VFE projects.
What I/o hardware bits and what software (I use OSX) do I need?
I saw the program download link on VFE..
Thanks.

jessenator

I bought this for another project, but I'm intending on using it for PICs. People in the vintage computing world find it invaluable for programming other chip types, which is why I bought it (RIP that project). However it might be a tad overkill for just doing PICs. I'll be curious what Bean and other experienced folks have to say.

TL866II
https://www.jameco.com/z/TL866II-Plus-Jameco-Valuepro-USB-High-Performance-Programmer_2297823.html

I'm happy to lend/send it your way if you want. I'm not messing with relay bypass atm. Runs on windows, but not sure about 11—still have 10, because I disabled virtual TPM in BIOS :P

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jessenator on January 18, 2024, 01:25:35 PM
I bought this for another project, but I'm intending on using it for PICs. People in the vintage computing world find it invaluable for programming other chip types, which is why I bought it (RIP that project). However it might be a tad overkill for just doing PICs. I'll be curious what Bean and other experienced folks have to say.

TL866II
https://www.jameco.com/z/TL866II-Plus-Jameco-Valuepro-USB-High-Performance-Programmer_2297823.html

I'm happy to lend/send it your way if you want. I'm not messing with relay bypass atm. Runs on windows, but not sure about 11—still have 10, because I disabled virtual TPM in BIOS :P

I have been using one of these (or one just like it) for years BUT, only to program EEPROMS. I use a PICKIT 2 Programmer for PIC chips. Honestly, not sure if PICs can be programmed with the TL866  :-\

jessenator

Looks like the II model (at least according to the manual) can with certain PICs

QuoteMICROCHIP PIC10 PIC12 PIC16 PIC18 Series Microcontroller

I can definitely let you try before you buy, blearyeyes

blearyeyes

I've used MACs since the 90s..Might be problematic.

jessenator

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 18, 2024, 10:58:10 PM
I've used MACs since the 90s..Might be problematic.

Bootcamp :D   the programmer software should run on almost any version of Windows. I think I have 7 running on a Core2 Duo mini I got for free.

blearyeyes

Thanks for the suggestion. The Mac Pro is my main studio recording system... don't want to make her mad. Plus's the driver support is not very good IIRCC. Anyway it looks like Microchips M-Lab software suite runs on OSX. Just need the cheapest usb connection for burning HEX code to PIC12F509s. Pikit 3s are 30-40$US on Amazon and 10 to 15 +shipping direct from China..I downloaded the software package and I'll go from there I guess. Everything is marketing to "Learn to program and Get your project off the ground!" Maybe I'll try to call them. Total PITA for 3 chips to bypass switch guitar pedals...

blearyeyes

I ordered a Pickit Kit 3.5. I have the MPLAB software running. Hopefully it will recognize the hardware.
Hey with HEX code do you need to transcode it into binary before burning the chip?
Hopefully I'll figure it out.

blearyeyes

Mission accomplished. After figuring out the hieroglyphics and typos on the back of the chip holder.

blearyeyes

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 27, 2024, 07:07:01 AM
I ordered a Pickit Kit 3.5. I have the MPLAB software running. Hopefully it will recognize the hardware.
Hey with HEX code do you need to transcode it into binary before burning the chip?
Hopefully I'll figure it out.

The answer to this is no. The supplied hex code from VFE is opened directly in Microchip’s MPLAB IPE software. There are two software packages MPLAB IDE and MPLAB IPE.
Both were installed with the downloaded package from Microchip’s website on my Mac.
IDE is Integrated Development Environment for creating/writing/debugging code and
IPE is Integrated Programming Environment for burning chips.

After I installed the software I added a plugin for PIC12F509 chips as I fumbled around in the IDE software. I do not know if that is needed for the IPE software but I would think it is.

I have not tested the PIC12F509 chips that I burned, but the software verified they were correctly burned. I’m assuming it runs a comparison test. 

I don’t know if there are alternatives but I purchased a PikIt 3 with the IC clip. You have to follow the instructions on the back of the clip thing and there are lines and a diagram to show you where to put the chip in the clip. It is very cryptic and the one I purchased from China had typos. I finally got an answer from a guy on Amazon with pictures of how to place the DIP 8 chip on the programmer clip.