News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Connector spacing

Started by Aentons, January 24, 2024, 02:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I like to use connectors for power, jack in and out, and sometimes for the foot switch. Would it be possible to consider designing for the connector spacing on future boards, like maybe the new standard series.

For instance, I run into the issue in the picture a good bit.

madbean

Just about every Standard Series project has the same wiring scheme: 6 point ribbon cable between effect and bypass, and wired or a 2.54mm removable connector option for all jacks. The most important one is for the DC jack because that allows you to completely disassemble a pedal without desoldering anything. I do plan on offering those connectors in the shop at some point, too.

I will do my best to adopt a similar standard for non 1590B projects, as well. I'm with you: I hate wiring and I plan to make most projects going forward to require as little as required.

derevaun

I guess the first thing I'd look for is a 4 terminal version of that connector. Or, a different variation that has 2.54mm housing specs. Personally, I use 2.54mm screw terminals for that kind of connection, but a plug-in connector has its advantages.

jessenator

Pin headers and DuPont connectors might also be another alternative, though they lack any way to lock/secure in on their own. Light glue or some other "easily broken if necessary" security might be a turn off: a light coating of thread locker or smallest amount of super glue.

They also make latching pin headers where the lock tab is only on one side. Like derevaun suggested, one that spans all 4 or 6 pins and a single ribbon/wires to match

Even if you did 2x two -pin connectors, the footprint is smaller. I see it a lot in 1990s computer logic board connectors.

jessenator

Aentons

Quote from: madbean on January 24, 2024, 03:41:19 AM
Just about every Standard Series project has the same wiring scheme: 6 point ribbon cable between effect and bypass, and wired or a 2.54mm removable connector option for all jacks. The most important one is for the DC jack because that allows you to completely disassemble a pedal without desoldering anything. I do plan on offering those connectors in the shop at some point, too.

I will do my best to adopt a similar standard for non 1590B projects, as well. I'm with you: I hate wiring and I plan to make most projects going forward to require as little as required.
That's great news.

Aentons

I've given a lot of thought to the best connector type for some of the constraints of my particular use case which is centered around being modular. I won't go into it all but I landed on the JST PH 2.00mm type. They are small, not tall, keyed, and latch. Power, jacks, and relay switching all have 2 wires so it fits just fine in 2.54mm holes.

You can see what I have in mind in this build report.
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33372.msg320253#msg320253

Aentons

I did try pin headers and DuPont connectors but I ran into some issues doing it that way. They are too tall and you have to lay them flat or use a fly out wire.

See build report here
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=32259.msg309994#msg309994

Aentons

I was looking back through my stuff to see some other tricks I've had to pull.

This one shows how I had to use right angle connectors on top of the 3dpt. The smaller PH connectors worked but the larger XH would have been too tall