Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Modified dirtbag and hybrid russian fuzz

Started by JakeFuzz, January 07, 2012, 05:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

http://soundcloud.com/jakefuzz/dirtbag-long

http://soundcloud.com/jakefuzz/hybrid-awesome-fuzz

So I replaced the upper limiting resistor for the BBD clock on my Dirtbag to 24k and now I have about 600ms of delay time with very little distortion, awesome! I also figured out why this sounds more spacious than the carbon copy, the delayed repeats start to blend into each other after a while making this wild wall of sound, the CC repeats just distort and stay separate. Its really long, I tried to set it up how I would use it in different situations so use the comments to skip to something you like.

The fuzz is my test fuzz box with Q2 = 2SA1015 (hfe~160) and Q1 = IT308B (hfe~50). Sounds really cool, one of the best combos I've found yet.

dwstanford

great mod.  i'll have to try that. i'm getting about 500ms on mine.  great clips.  that fuzz sounds great also.

cjkbug

what #resistor is the one you changed? that fuzz sounds great. just the right amount of edge. the pinch harmonics really jump out. very billy gibbons sounding
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

JakeFuzz

Quote from: cjkbug on January 08, 2012, 06:44:01 AM
what #resistor is the one you changed? that fuzz sounds great. just the right amount of edge. the pinch harmonics really jump out. very billy gibbons sounding

It is R58, the original value is 5.6K, moved it to 24K. The other suggestion is to use a 250K pot and put a 250K resistor in parallel with the outer lugs to take it down to about 125K; this will change the taper of the pot though. The good thing about the latter method is it preserves the lower delay times by keeping the lower boundary resistor the same value. My change shifted everything to longer delay times, cutting out the really short reverberation type delays.

bigmufffuzzwizz

It sounds soo clean and organic!!! Really great. I like the ambiance it creates as you turn the feedback up more.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

Thanks Magic. Still have some tuning to do, it has a robotic ringing on the higher delay times. I am going to probe it this weekend and see what comes up.

nzCdog

wow!  that delay is amazing... that fuzz tone is sublime too... and vibe!  ah great demo!

jimmybjj

Just a FYI for the guys that want to try the longer delay mod that Paul posted. I just did them and got  660ms of delay. Thanks Paul :)
Pcbs no longer available

Scruffie

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 14, 2012, 11:05:53 AM
Thanks Magic. Still have some tuning to do, it has a robotic ringing on the higher delay times. I am going to probe it this weekend and see what comes up.
Sounds like Aliasing or Clock Bleed, that's why we don't try and pull more delay out the chips, you could add heavier filtering to try and counter it.
Works at Lectric-FX

djaaz

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 08, 2012, 08:59:57 AM

It is R58, the original value is 5.6K, moved it to 24K. The other suggestion is to use a 250K pot and put a 125K resistor in parallel with the outer lugs to take it down to about 125K; this will change the taper of the pot though. The good thing about the latter method is it preserves the lower delay times by keeping the lower boundary resistor the same value. My change shifted everything to longer delay times, cutting out the really short reverberation type delays.

I would have said a 250k resistor in parallel with the pot, is it a typo or am i just plain wrong?

Scruffie

Quote from: djaaz on February 02, 2012, 05:31:21 PM
Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 08, 2012, 08:59:57 AM

It is R58, the original value is 5.6K, moved it to 24K. The other suggestion is to use a 250K pot and put a 125K resistor in parallel with the outer lugs to take it down to about 125K; this will change the taper of the pot though. The good thing about the latter method is it preserves the lower delay times by keeping the lower boundary resistor the same value. My change shifted everything to longer delay times, cutting out the really short reverberation type delays.

I would have said a 250k resistor in parallel with the pot, is it a typo or am i just plain wrong?
Nope, You're right

R1 x R2
-------
R1 + R2

62500 divided by 500 is 125.
Works at Lectric-FX

JakeFuzz

Yep yep, sorry about that guys definitely a typo. 125K is the value you want to get to. To divide a resistor in half you place the same value in parallel so to get a 250K pot to 125K you place another 250K resistor on the outer lugs. Jimmy actually noticed this a few days ago but I forgot to change it.