News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egodriver 18Volt IC choices

Started by jphilly77, February 25, 2011, 06:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphilly77

I finished my Egodriver and it works perfectly first time! I'm at the point of trying to decide which IC to use. I prefer to run it at 18V fro the slightly higher headroom. It currently has an NE5532P in it but I have a few other spares lying around that I'm itching to try out.

Today I just bought a TL082 at Radio Shack to try but when I got home I noticed on the back of the package it says "Supply voltage 36VDC or +18VDC".

What does that mean? Is a TL082 safe to run at 18V? I'm using a regulated power supply (Voo Doo PP2+)

Can anyone recommend good ICs for this circuit that safely run at 18V?

I'd hate to fry something.

Thanks!

Haberdasher

Well, the original has a TL082 and I believe it runs at 18 so you should be good there.

I have an LM833n in mine right now and I like it, but I haven't swapped out nearly as many chips in the egodriver as some guys around here.  Some other folks here really like the JRC4580d, the same chip linked to in the Aristocrat doc here at madbean so you might want to give that a go.

JRC4558, 4559, or TLC2272 would probably sound good in there too.  I haven't checked to see if these can take 18v but I'd guess they can.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

It means it can handle a 36v differential. So, if you were running a bi-polar supply it could handle up to 18v either way.

The NE5532 is a good choice, so is the LF353N. And, don't discount the good ol' 4558, or the 4580, either!

madbean

Apparently the TCL2272 should fry at 18v, but I've been able to do it.

B_of_H

I recently went back to the tl082 for fun in a few circuits including the egodriver and I forgot how good it sounds in this circuit (at 18v). 

it's got some type of lo-fi mojo that I like. 

rosettastoned

i just finsh  my pedal, i have chosen tl082, to me it works good, but now i wanna know if i can  conect it to 18v???  without problems 'course.

hoyager

I've fried a TCL2272 in the serendipity at 18v..,. :'(

thorpy6

I have used a AD712 from the serendipity in the OCD, sounds good to me but the loofa natre of the original chip seems to add something special.

stecykmi

Quote from: rosettastoned on June 01, 2011, 09:07:18 PM
i just finsh  my pedal, i have chosen tl082, to me it works good, but now i wanna know if i can  conect it to 18v???  without problems 'course.

datasheet says +/- 18v so it should be fine.

Quote from: hoyager on June 01, 2011, 10:31:55 PM
I've fried a TCL2272 in the serendipity at 18v..,. :'(

ya, it's only rated for something +/- 8v

add4

What's the point of running an OD at more than 9v?
the IC doesn't clip in the egodriver, even with gain at maximum, so what would it change to have more headroom?
thanks

jkokura

You're not just running the IC at a higher voltage. This also means that you're running the whole circuit at a higher voltage. The clipping diodes will be running at a different voltage for example, meaning that the distortion of the unit will be different.

It's interesting to see which pedals really do benefit from it. The OCD circuit is one of the few that I've been able to measure as 'better' at a higher voltage. Most of the time I'd agree with you, but in this case it's an actual difference I've heard.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

add4

interesting ... do you plug a road rage in front of it then? into the box between supply and the pcb?

jkokura

You can do it that way. I used a 18DC power supply.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

9Lives

add4

Just a feedback on it.. i tried it at 18 volts.. it does indeed change the feeling of the effect, and gives more 'space' and dynamics. i prefer it at 18v too.