News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sourcing Parts

Started by BRGPollen, January 06, 2012, 07:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRGPollen

Hello there fellow Beans,
    I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has stared at their computer screen with either Mouser or Small Bear open in several tabs desperately hoping the "part" they need will jump off of the screen and scream "pick me , pick me."  With that said, there is a wonderful Mouser ordering tutorial here http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2970.0! Even with that (which has helped tons!!!) I'm still coming up short on a few parts and would appreciate any help in finding them.

1) IC's:

a) JRC 4558 (is this the same thing ? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/RC4558P/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtOXy69nW9rM0%2fHbfl0f%252b3pDm0gqa87S%252bs%3d)

b) TC 2272 Just figured this one out!! its TL ... not TC.....Doh!  Where do you get one though?

2) Diodes:

1n34a

3) Caps:

Mallory 150's in the values listed for the Bumblebee  (Small Bear has 1 value I think.... unless I'm not looking in the right place)

(100n {the one I see on Small Bear's site}, 4u7 & 1n)

Again, thanks for any help and direction for this rookie destroyer of diodes!

"B"  ;D

The Musician's Theory of Relativity . . . . . E=Fb

Haberdasher

Yo B

If you want the exact same part search mouser for njm instead of jrc, ex: njm4558 (the company changed names, but jrc is still printed on the ic).  Pretty sure RC4558 is basically the same part from a diff manufacturer tho so it would probably be fine as well.

the actual part for the other ic is tlc2272, which you should now be able to find easily on mouser

edit: make sure to filter to show only dip8 or pdip8 parts and select through hole just to make sure you don't accidentally throw a surface mount part in your cart.  I usually check the "Stocked" box as well.

I don't think mouser or smallbear carry 1n34a germanium diodes so you'll probably have to hit up ppp or ebay....maybe someone will have a recommendation where to get good ones.  I think you can also use 1n270 in most cases.

I'm not sure I totally understand the question about the caps.....but mouser should have some cool axial caps in the values you need even if they aren't mallorys

cheers
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

Hey guys, just to add to what Hab already said.

1. Yes, a 4558 is essentially the same no matter who makes it. Usually the first letters before the number indicates the manufacturer.

3. Most NOS Ge diodes like the 1n34a aren't sold by Mouser. You can find alternatives on Smallbear, like the 1n60 or 1n270. I have bought 1n34a's from ebay in the past.

4. Mallory 150 caps are available in a large number of values at smallbear: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Capacitors%2C+Mallory+150+Series+Poly+Film and definately available at Mouser.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DuctTapeRiot

Please post any Mouser part numbers you find over in the other thread (the only linked above).

BRGPollen

Wow guys.  Thanks for the super quick response.  I know that it helps not to try to source parts at 1am after the rest of the house is finally asleep.  Hence the reason that TL looked like TC . ;D

This leads to a couple more questions.

1) in the ic world how important is the Suffix?  ie 4558D  vs 4558P  Does it depend on the application?

2) Do you think that a small "work alike" cross reference would be either a good link or doc to post somewhere here in Beanland?  Those of us that are sourcing directly from the BOM get stuck easily when a perfectly good solution is right under our noses.

Again thanks for the help!

The Musician's Theory of Relativity . . . . . E=Fb

Haberdasher

1) I've never found suffix makes much difference in dual opamps.  I think most of the suffixes indicate packaging type or temperature rating, or some other parameter that usually won't be too important in a 9V pedal.  To be honest, I usually re-sort the Pricing column at mouser by clicking the little up arrow and I nab one of the cheaper ones.  If a very specific one is needed, it would be indicated in the BOM.

2) I think there are some pretty good references out there already like the faq at diysb.  But if someone wanted to tackle the project I'm sure it would be appreciated.  Maintaining and updating something like that as things shift and change (especially if you tried to include direct links to products) might prove to be problematic, though just a simple cross reference spreadsheet would be good.

Here's one to start off. ;)

TL072
cheap sub NJM072
fancy sub TLE2072

^^^btw, you can do the same subs with TL071, TL062, TL082, etc.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

latchkey

Hey Bean-ers, I'm about to order and build some of my first madbean boards, and I felt that this thread may be a good place to voice some of my concerns:

1.) I have been wondering if there would be any reason to prefer purchasing 1n34a's over a comprable 1n60 or 1n270. Would it alter the tone in a recognizable way?

2.) Is there an informative guide or any easy way to remember what different types of capacitors (ex: ceramic, silver mica, electrolytic, poly film) are best for various farad values and tolerances?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with a new kid.   ::)

DutchMF

Hi,

Please check out this thread: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2970.0. I'm trying to put a list together to make ordering at Mouser that much easier. Try to post your favorite parts in the same format as the very first post in this thread, makes it real easy for me to check and include......

Thanx, Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

1. Nope. They might have slightly different forward voltages, but they'd be about the same if you're really concerned. You can find 1n34a's around, but getting things from one source and paying one shipping fee is usually preferable.

2. There are some tutorials that have been written - hopefully they'll show up soon. Otherwise you can search around here and the internet. The infos are out there!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

latchkey

Thanks Jacob.

I'll have a look through the Internet, something's bound to turn up.