News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dr boogey question

Started by 9Lives, January 11, 2012, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

ok, still working on the photos. Not there yet. But I have the board completed and tried hooking it to bread board. With no voltage then signal seems to make it through fine. That means no cold joints right? When I hook in the dc plug all sounds go away. I tried messing around with the trimmers and I still get nothing. With my meter I'm poking around and I can't seem to get any voltage :/ I know I can't get a real good answer w no pics.. I'm trying. But the pad labeled metal is output lame is input? I might just have somthin hooked wrong.

jkokura

Grant, I'm struggling to grasp what you're talking about. Maybe you could explain a little clearer?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

9Lives

ok, I know I get kinda ramblish I'm just gonna do it with #'s (i'll have pics soon)
1.when I hook the board to the breadboard (hook up input and out put and voltage) With voltage OFF the signal makes it through the board into the amp with no buzzing or crackling. As soon as I turn ON the voltage the signal drops and there is NO sound at all.
2. Is it possible the pots must be grounded on the chasis?
3. Is it possible that bc the pedal is not hooked to the 3PDT  and enclosure that it is not grounded properly?
4. And Lastly all hookup points on board are labeled 9v, GRD, LAME, METAL!  I'm guessing Lame and metal! Are input and output?? Or am I hooking it up wrong? I can't get a voltage reading from anything past the 4001 diode :/

9Lives

o yea. The diode is in the correct position.

jkokura

Couple things Grant.

1. This does not seem normal to me. What layout are you using? You don't say it, but I assume you're also connecting ground to the breadboard as well?

2. No

3. No

4. Because I don't know the layout you're using, I can't tell you.
JMK PCBs *New Website*

9Lives

doesn't seem normal to me either. If by layout you mean board? I'm using bean's latest chunk chunk. This things puzzling me. Like I said with no voltage the signal passes through. Even if I disconnect the input or output wires it cuts the signal out. But with every thing in place the signal passes right through until I add voltage. Could it be a bad jack you think?

jkokura

yeah, I suspect a wiring issue.

Honestly, it should not work when there is no voltage being applied. Somehow your signal is leaking straight from your input to output.

Looking at the project docs - Lame = input to board, Metal = output from board.

Also, have you tried biasing at all yet? Did you sub any parts? Have you done the normal debugging steps?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

9Lives

the only diff parts I used is 4.7n instead of 5 n and 22pf instead of 20pf.  How touchy is the bias? I can't get a voltage on any of them to tell :/

jkokura

It shouldn't be a problem. I think you've got a serious wiring problem. Can you take some good pics?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

9Lives

I'm trying :/ I just can't get the damn phone to load them. I don't understand how it could be wired wrong. There isn't really but 4 wires. 9v, GRD, input, output. I did all the pots right.. Although.. I acidently ordered pc mount so I ran small wires through each rivit (on the pot) to each lead.this should not be a prob. The wire is still connected to the lead. I'm workin on the pics tho

9Lives

ok, so part of the problem was that c14 or c20 was bad. So I replaced both. I am now getting voltage to other parts of the pedal. R17 is not getting voltage or the trimmers. Occasionly I get a reading on a trimmer below one. Also the 5 tranny is getting power.. Any advice? The pedal is now hummin! Atleast a start!

jambforthelamb

Can't help with all the debuggin', but I can answer the "Lame" is circuit input, and "Metal" is circuit output. Just got done wiring up my first ChunkChunk  ;)

-Kevin

9Lives

Thank you once again jacob. You saved this from getting slamed against the wall! It's alive! Q5 was definitely bad. The buffer one. I replaced it and fiddled with the trimmers and all the sudden it was like face melting incredible. This is a badass sounding circuit. Specially w comp infront, delay, bloviator. + active pickups. I have all the trims set to 4.5v - 5v is that right?