News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Still collecting vintage pedals?

Started by shawnee, January 12, 2012, 12:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnee

Hey guys, I am just curious; since you you building, has your vintage pedal collection dwindled? I still have a couple of easy to get pedals like an old MXR flanger and a Boss CE-2 chorus but that's about it. Are there any vintage pedals that you just won't part with even though you could probably recreate them?

jcuempire

Hey.  I still have a number of my old pedals, but they have been replaced (for the most part) with home made ones, but I haven't sold any.  I still use my old Dyna Comp, but my Green Russian Big Muff languishes in a dusty corner.  I have a CE-2 as well and would love to build a better chorus (I always thought it was too subtle) but all the distortions, boosts, fuzzes and the like have been supplanted by better sounding DIY jobs. 

Maybe it's time to sell the Big Muff

DutchMF

My experience is that once I have a pedal, the first week is critical. No matter vintage or not, if I'm not connecting with it in the first week, it's out! Maybe it won't be on the pedalboard always, but once a pedal makes it past that first week, it stays. Few of my favorites: Crybaby wah (on my board for the past 15 years) and my Boss Overdrive (almost 20 years!). Might not be desirably vintage, but I can't miss them, and that's what counts for me!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

I usually combine function and form when I associate personal value. Usually age carries little weight. I don't collect pedals, I use them. So in that sense, I don't think a vintage pedal would be kept unless it out functioned another pedal in use by me.

Building has certainly made me sell off virtually all my pedals I'm not using, though I think I still own more than 50 of them.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

I buy and sell a lot.  So my non built stuff changes out through the months/years.  I do have a love of vintage tape echoes though.  Those I'm not selling even though they don't get used a whole lot.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer