• Welcome to madbeanpedals::forum.

News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Windbag and Springboard resistors - 1/4w okay?

Started by greysun, September 30, 2026, 01:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greysun

I fully understand this is probably a dumb question, and I searched to see if anyone had mentioned something about it before, but came up short...

I have exactly zero 1/8w resistors, but I have thousands of 1/4w resistors in so many varied values - I know it would not look pretty and I'm okay with that, but would there be a sonic repercussion if I angled some 1/4w in place of the 1/8w resistors in either the springboard or windbag?

Also, help me decide if you will... I have a Meris polymoon, so I'm thinking the windbag might be overkill given its half-delay situation, but if I wanted a good reverb without getting a mercury 7 or something like that, the springboard would be the ticket yea? (I have a couple rub-a-dub DIY etched pedals, which are single knob reverbs and sound great, but I'm looking to get a little more control these days).

Any thoughts? Appreciate the help in advance!

jessenator

Regarding the 1/4W resistors, shouldn't be an issue as long as the leads or solder joints don't cross any adjacent parts/connections. IMO it can definitely look pretty :) tons of old classic pedals did this—even full vertical—with resistors, diodes, you name it. As long as you have the vertical real estate, it's no biggie.

You cannot view this attachment.
"All you need is fuzz"   ~not Lennon

greysun

Quote from: jessenator on September 30, 2026, 03:17:17 PMRegarding the 1/4W resistors, shouldn't be an issue as long as the leads or solder joints don't cross any adjacent parts/connections. IMO it can definitely look pretty :) tons of old classic pedals did this—even full vertical—with resistors, diodes, you name it. As long as you have the vertical real estate, it's no biggie.

You cannot view this attachment.


I've certainly done it before for a part here and there - but not for an entire board, lol - especially one of these sizes. Didn't know if it would induce radio signals or something with so many leads exposed. Good to know! thank you, as always! :-)

NorthCoast

Quote from: greysun on September 30, 2026, 01:45:47 PMI know it would not look pretty and I'm okay with that, but would there be a sonic repercussion if I angled some 1/4w in place of the 1/8w resistors in either the springboard or windbag?

Quote from: jessenator on September 30, 2026, 03:17:17 PMIMO it can definitely look pretty :) tons of old classic pedals did this—even full vertical—with resistors, diodes, you name it. As long as you have the vertical real estate, it's no biggie.

Yep, this is a Boss DM-2... I wouldn't worry about it! Looks pretty to me...

"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

jwin615

You may need to alternate the orientation of them. take your time and consider the clearance for the adjacent components. There's also resistor kits on Ali that run pretty cheap.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL7tbuB