News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Substitute resistors provided by SB for Bumblebee?

Started by everettsorb, December 15, 2011, 04:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

everettsorb

As suggested, I purchased a set of OC75's from Small Bear and they came with "recommended" resistors.  As I don't want to screw up these fine transistors, I was wondering if anyone knew where these substitutions go.....or.....do I even use them?
  The included schematic from SB is of a Colorsound Tone Bender that states replacement of R3, (suggested replacement value is 20k), and R8, (suggested replacement value is 11k).  In compairing this schematic with the Bumblebee, the nearest I can figure is his "R3", is the Bee's "R6", and his "R8", is the Bee's "R8"????????????
Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Lawrence

Bret608

I don't know the answer here but will be very curious to see...I am thinking of building the Mangler next, and am not sure if I just hold off on ordering resistors altogether until I see what Smallbear recommends. I hope one of the experienced follks here will be able to help sort this out for you!

Cheers,

Bret

stecykmi

personally, I would just use the stock resistor values (it won't break anything), but i would follow specific placement if SB recommends one (ie one is designated for Q1, one for Q2, etc.).

if you're not happy with it, you can always change it later.

Bret608

I totally agree; since the schematic was for a Tonebender, you could follow SB's recommendations if they specify which resistor corresponds to which transistor. I'm only saying that because the Buzzaround is a close cousin of the TB family. Otherwise, you could just go with what Madbean suggests in the build doc. Or you could even socket your resistors and experiment if anyone else here is able to help you map the resistor values given by SB onto Madbean's build plan.

dwstanford

The best thing to do would be to breadboard the circuit and try the stock resistors first.    The sub resistors probably won't be relevant in the bumble bee cause they are chosen to get those transistors to bias in the tonebender.  You may need to sub some values throughout the circuit as needed anyway, though.  That's why I breadboard any ge fuzz beforehand.

everettsorb

Thanks for the suggestions.  I plan to build this within the next week or so and will post my findings.
Thanks again and happy holidays!
Lawrence

everettsorb

OK......fineally got around to building this.  I socket-ed the resistors in question and in short, found the suggested subs from SB to NOT sound as good as the ones listed in Madbeans BOM.  Tone/sound being a subjective thing/just my opinion............ So there you go.
With the OC75's, this is a great sounding fuzz pedal that responds well to your guitar volume.  It can go from next to no fuzz, to a metal type of sound, to a "Spirit in the Sky" sounding fuzz and a lot of variations in between.
I went with a volume control.  Also went with the suggested 25kB pot swap for the balance.
Another excellent project from "The Bean"!!!

Bret608

Awesome! Glad it turned out well. I got a Ghost Effects version of the Buzzaround with NKT214s this summer and agree it's an awesome circuit. I'd love to build a Bumblebee just to have an excuse to try it with different transistors!