News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Decals over pre-painted enclosures

Started by gtr2, August 16, 2010, 04:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Anyone have experience putting decals over a pre-painted enclosure (like pedal parts plus)?  I have been painting my own and just clear coating the decal.  Cost wise it's cheaper to buy a pre-painted and saves me time.  I'm just wondering if there are any compatibility issues that I may run into.  Any suggestions or tips are welcome!  Thanks
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Sure, I've done that plenty. I have only used the wet-slide stuff from smallbear, but there are probably some alternatives out there. I usually do about 6-7 thin passes of clear coat. It really looks good that way.

I don't sand between coats, but I do rub the enclosure down gently with a cotton t-shirt (usually the one I'm wearing!) before applying the next coat.

I think any acetate sheet that is very thin would work.

jkokura

I have used clear vinyl decals overtop of plenty of PPP powder coated boxes. works super awesome:

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Ok, thanks!

Jacob,

How did you do the white decal?

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Your welcome!

I get the white printing from a (formerly) local sign printing place. They use clear vinyl decal (like a clear sticker) and then print the white lettering using a foil printing method. They can print in whatever colour they can get a foil (think all pantone colours). I moved, and haven't located a new printing shop who'll do it for me yet. Not to mention I don't have access to the program I used to at work anymore, so I'll either have to find a new method, or perhaps find a new way to do it. Stupid OSX Tiger... nobody makes good programs for my computer anymore!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Sorry, I don't know what the brand is. It's just the clear vinyl decal stock the shop I had print it uses. It's a lot like a clear sticker.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

gtr2

Thanks anyways.  I'll have to do some searching...  By the way, I really dig the green and white overdrive pedal.  Is it a tube screamer variety?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Yep and it's for sale! (sorry for the shameless plug...)

If you want it it could be yours. Pm or email me...
JMK PCBs *New Website*

madbean

Quote from: jkokura on August 19, 2010, 09:21:25 PM
Yep and it's for sale! (sorry for the shameless plug...)

If you want it it could be yours. Pm or email me...

Feel free to put that in the BUY/SELL/TRADE area, too, if you have not already done so. It's a nice one!