News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best delay for me?

Started by shawnee, January 15, 2012, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnee

Can I get some advice from the delay gurus around here? I want a delay but am not sure what to get/build. I want analog (or a great simulation).

I would like to build a Dirtbag but obviously the MN3005's are a problem to find. How does it sound with V3205's compared to something like a Boss DM-2?

Maybe the strymon el capistan or timeline would be the way to go........ how about a TC Flashback?

Maybe I should just get an old cheap analog delay like a DOD or something.

I guess the cheaper the better but longer delay would be cool too. Hmmmmmmm  :-\

mjcyates

I am no delay guru but the answer to your question depends on what you want it to do. I have the TC Flashback and it is a great all purpose delay but it doesn't do what the Dirtbag does. The echobase gets close to the Dirtbag. The Sea Urchin is great if you just want a basic delay that has an analog like tone.

jkokura

I have had an inordinate delays over the years. Too many really. And I've built just about all the DIY delays I've been able to find.

There are two types of DIY delays really. Analog, and PT2399. There are few options for features, but really in most cases many people are very happy with some of the various options available. I highly recommend the Echobase. It's been my favourite DIY delay so far. Analog delays are usually more difficult and involve a lot more complicated understanding of the circuit so I recommend you do them after building some experience. I would do a V3205 Dirtbag when you feel ready.

As for the other delays, I've owned many of the ones you're looking at. Features wise many of them have a lot of great things to offer. If you're going to invest that much money in something like a Timeline you should really be making that decision for yourself and not asking a bunch of strangers on the interweb. That said, I have an El Cap and a Timleine and have had a ridiculous number of the popular delays out there, and I really like both.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jtn191

your main things to worry about are price, size, features, sound...
Do you want it to do a bunch of things, or just one thing really, really well?
One benefit of DSP is some delays do Digital, Tape, AND Analog among other features like...a looper

I have a Line 6 Echo Park. It's small, has lots of features, and sounds ok (I've since learned that Dan Auerbach used one on my favorite Black Keys records)
but it goes through batteries like crazy, makes noise if you don't have an isolated PS...etc blah blah

Do you gig or record? A Behringer EM600 is like $50--or less used--and it's pretty much a DD7 in a weaker, mojoless case

Go with the DIY Sea Urchin if you want to make your own with relatively little hassle. That's what I'm gonna do...at least pre-Dirtbag  ;)

A week ago, I worked on a recording session with a great guitarist (had a mesa combo) who seemed fine with a DD3 (iirc)--Nels Cline (the freakin' man) gigs with a DD3--some of my other heroes have used DD5s, Line 6 DL4s, DMMs, Echoplexes, etc

One of my friends has a rule for buying gear: "Don't buy it unless you're gonna use it for the rest of your life"  I think that's wise
If you really like delay and want to be covered...go for something like a Timeline.

listen to demos, read reviews, and test some out

check these out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slSNMxpiJ_Y
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-17-best-delay-pedals-and-echo-units-of-all-time-413847
http://www.musicradar.com/totalguitar/best-delay-pedals-five-of-our-favourites-258753/1

cjkbug

the old dod delay (fx90 I think) is an mn3005 delay and I have gotten some off ebay for as little as $25 . they sound fantastic in my opinion, and If it's not your cup o' tea you could probably flip it for a few bucks profit if you find one at a good price.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

pickdropper

Quote from: mjcyates on January 15, 2012, 03:22:34 AM
I am no delay guru but the answer to your question depends on what you want it to do. I have the TC Flashback and it is a great all purpose delay but it doesn't do what the Dirtbag does. The echobase gets close to the Dirtbag. The Sea Urchin is great if you just want a basic delay that has an analog like tone.

That's where I am at.  I own a Flashback for all purpose delay and I am building a Dirtbag when the next run of boards comes out.  I figure that should cover a lot of bases.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

shawnee

Thanks everyone. I was looking at the DOD FX90's because of the price (and sound quality for the money)but I really want a longer delay too.  I'm trying to listen to as many good quality clips to see which ones I like best. I like the idea of higher voltage for cleaner headroom and low noise but I like a warm repeat like the DM2. The Diamond and Empress sound great to me but I was hoping not to spend that much. The el Capistan is pretty cool. I would love to build something if I can get the parts and it will sound like I want it to.

lincolnic

People sleep on this one, but look into the Guyatone MD3. It's a digital delay, cheap (around $100), very clean and it also goes very long - delay time goes from 20-2600 milliseconds, according to the manual. You can also turn the feedback up into analog-style self-oscillation, which is fun. I like mine, anyway!

slimtriggers

I've been really happy with my TC Nova Repeater.  Got it new for $125 shipped 8)

gtr2

Don't forget about the Boss DD20 either.  It can do a lot for the price tag.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

shawnee

Thanks again everyone. I have been listening to clips all weekend. As far as new digital stuff, I like the Strymon El Capistan a lot. I really want atleast 600ms but I like the repeats on the old analog stuff like the Boss DM-2. A Diamond Memory Lane 2 would be great.............for $600.  :o  Maybe I should wait for the Aquaboy deluxe pcb. I really like running higher voltages though and will probably never find MN3005's. (I know it's dirt and not delay) but I found a very noticable difference in the Boneyard when I upped the voltage from +/-9v to 12. I ended up running mine at +/-15v and couldn't be happier. It was quieter and had more headroom/less mush. Still not sure what to do.....

EdInTheBox

Shawnee,
I'm by no stretch a pedal guru, but if you like the old analog sound I would suggest listening to the Carbon Copy by MXR if you haven't already.  They run about $150 last time I checked.  The new'ish' TC is also very cool & has lots of different setting.  Much more versatile if you're looking for that.

djaaz

Quote from: jkokura on January 15, 2012, 03:59:37 AM
I highly recommend the Echobase. It's been my favourite DIY delay so far. Analog delays are usually more difficult and involve a lot more complicated understanding of the circuit so I recommend you do them after building some experience. I would do a V3205 Dirtbag when you feel ready.

The echo base i built, i don't like so much. I confirmed my build with some videos & sound samples and i'm thinking it works as it should.

What i'm hearing is very narrow frequency window in the repeats, even if i like the fact that my "dry" signal just gets out of the signal without getting so much color in it. Overall the pedals sounds "tiny" compared to my memory toy & or boss echo space i could test. (By the way, both terrific delays, both completely different).

Is it just a matter of taste or should i shake this thing out of its box?

jkokura

Quote from: djaaz on January 16, 2012, 11:38:32 PM
I highly recommend the Echobase. It's been my favourite DIY delay so far. Analog delays are usually more difficult and involve a lot more complicated understanding of the circuit so I recommend you do them after building some experience. I would do a V3205 Dirtbag when you feel ready.

The echo base i built, i don't like so much. I confirmed my build with some videos & sound samples and i'm thinking it works as it should.

What i'm hearing is very narrow frequency window in the repeats, even if i like the fact that my "dry" signal just gets out of the signal without getting so much color in it. Overall the pedals sounds "tiny" compared to my memory toy & or boss echo space i could test. (By the way, both terrific delays, both completely different).

It might just be taste. I wouldn't disagree with you, but I don't have one handy to really listen, and my only PCB I have has issues right now.

However, I know that I don't find it tiny compared to other delays. In fact, I thought it much 'larger' than the Rebote 2.5 and I haven't heard people think that's tiny. I don't have any experience with the Memory Toy or Space Echo, but I have experience with a ridiculous number of other popular delays.

Do you have your EB boxed up? If not, and you're willing to part with it, I'd take it in trade for some other PCBs I have.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

djaaz

Quote from: jkokura on January 17, 2012, 12:45:14 AM
Quote from: djaaz on January 16, 2012, 11:38:32 PM

It might just be taste. I wouldn't disagree with you, but I don't have one handy to really listen, and my only PCB I have has issues right now.

However, I know that I don't find it tiny compared to other delays. In fact, I thought it much 'larger' than the Rebote 2.5 and I haven't heard people think that's tiny. I don't have any experience with the Memory Toy or Space Echo, but I have experience with a ridiculous number of other popular delays.

Do you have your EB boxed up? If not, and you're willing to part with it, I'd take it in trade for some other PCBs I have.

Jacob

It is in a 1590BB box taking the dust somewhere. It is a musicpcb pcb so will be challenging to fit in a 1590B or 125 but very doable.