News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Echo Base Debug

Started by greyscales, January 24, 2012, 09:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyscales

A couple of days ago I finished wiring up an Echo Base without any switches besides bypass and only 5 pots. However, I've run into a couple of problems with it.

1. The repeats (feedback) knob doesn't change the repeats. It is set at a certain amount that, while usable, doesn't do what it should. However, when maxed out or close to it the pedal oscillates like runaway feedback.

2. The level/mix knob also oscillates at higher settings. It does work though.

3. Whenever I turn my amp on or off, the pedal makes a VERY loud hum. If I unplug the power supply, it goes away, and when I plug it back in the hum isn't there. If I proceed to turn the amp off the hum comes back.

I hoped all of this would be an obvious mistake, but all of my solders seem to be fine. Could it be an IC? It shouldn't be the PT2399 because I put a new one in today as a test and it did the same.
Thanks to anyone who can help!

sgmezei

I finished an echobase last night and did not have any issues. Can you post some pictures?

djaaz

Some of the problem you have, i had:

This seems to be very power supply sensitive: i have a hum if the supply is not very well regulated.
I have a very annoying hiss with a very well 9V regulated supply.

I did not find the working power supply. I wanted to try a 12V regulated DC as my next move.

Slacker on the DIY forum "build the echo base" topic is very reactive and very helpful as well:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84109.0

greyscales

Quote from: djaaz on January 25, 2012, 02:57:10 AM
Some of the problem you have, i had:

This seems to be very power supply sensitive: i have a hum if the supply is not very well regulated.
I have a very annoying hiss with a very well 9V regulated supply.

I did not find the working power supply. I wanted to try a 12V regulated DC as my next move.

Slacker on the DIY forum "build the echo base" topic is very reactive and very helpful as well:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84109.0

I use a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ as the power supply, so it is regulated. It isn't a hiss so much as a hum, like a ground hum almost.

I posted on the DIYSB forum already but didn't really get a response.

djaaz

I would test with a battery. You may not have any modulation but my build is absolutely noiseless with a battery.