News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low Gain Fuzz Design to Share

Started by pigyboy, August 23, 2010, 05:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigyboy

Hi,
I have a new fuzz designed for low gain pnp germanium transistors. Kind of a combo of a Mosrite Fuzzrite and a Fulltone '69.  I found a supply of about 150 low gain very old germanium transistors that sound great in this design. I have it all done up on eagle and built several prototypes. It sounds fat and has very little background noise. I can post this if people are interested. Might be a fun project to get some people involved in.

Haberdasher

About how low is the gain (re: hfe) on your germaniums?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pigyboy

Hey,
The transistors I found are really low gain. 8-20 hfe.  They sound good though. Here is the Eagle schematic to mess around with. Nothing ground breaking but I am very please with how this circuit sounds.

[attachment deleted by admin]

oldhousescott

Can you print that to a PDF, or perhaps export to GIF? No Eagle here, not even the freebee one.

pigyboy

Try this. I have found it very easy to use different transistors biasing them about 4.5 volts or so. Start with the 100k resistors go from there. Easy build. Good touch sensitivity and guitar volume control over the fuzz. The reason for C2 and C3 being so close in size but different was I used a wima cap for the .047 (C2) and also for C3 but when I popped in a ceramic .05 for C3 it opened the sound up to my ears. Just the cap type made quite a difference. Experiment around and see what you get. I built one with tropical fish caps and carbon resistors but the metal film resistors and the cap combo I mentioned before sounds much thicker and defined to me.